That rain sound….

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had my Yukon for 5 years. At 65, 75 mph it has always made this ‘rain sound’. Even going through the car wash, at a certain point, near the end, the blow driers would make this sound. I put a deflector over the sun roof. Added extra fasteners to the plastic removable cowl area below the wipers…. Nothing worked.

After driving to Lincoln Thursday for thanksgiving and listening to the damn sound for 2 hours, I vowed to myself that I would find it Friday.. and I did.

With front doors open, pull back the weather stripping on either side of the windshield. This will reveal 4 T-15’s. Remove the t-15’’s and the black plastic trim piece that actually covers the driver and passenger vertical sides of the windshield will pull back. There is a piece of double sided tape under this trim piece and if you have ever had your windshield replaced, there is a good chance the installer did not replace it.

I used some ‘Por patch seam sealer’ and screwed it all back together. Took the truck back on I-80 and got her up to around 100 (just to make sure) then went through the car wash again. The rain sound is gone!!!!!

aj306

Reaction score
Bug Deflector

Removing the deflector off the front fixed my bugs hitting the windshield noise.

Did you glue the plastic to the metal ?

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Mostly to the glass but I’m sure some got on the metal underneath there. Doesn’t bother me, if I have to replace the glass in the future I’ll just buy new seals if I need to, the quiet ride is worth it. Strange noises that are not supposed to be there drive me insane. I’m fairly confident I can get them back off if I need to.

wwcnd

Reaction score
Please forgive my ignorance. but what is a T-15?
I get the same noise too and it drives me nuts on road trips

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://www.amazon.com/Stanley-60-011-Standard-Torx-Screwdriver/dp/B000KFXDWW

Stanley 60-011 T15 Standard Torx Screwdriver

Just a fastener with a different head on it
31kWHqJTssL._SL500_AA280_.jpg

GMTECH56

Reaction score
This is a very common problem with bugshields and even some of the manufacturers have two strips of 3m double sided tape that come with them to install just as you did the glue.

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
With front doors open, pull back the weather stripping on either side of the windshield. This will reveal 4 T-15’s. Remove the t-15’’s and the black plastic trim piece that actually covers the driver and passenger vertical sides of the windshield

That wasn't my issue but another good thing to check.........

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my window replaced today and the tech said (in his words) that black sh!t someone put on there has not cured yet….
Although it did quiet things down…. I no longer recommend porpatch, Just FYI.
3m Red back double stick tape might be best for this deal.
BTW new windshields are the best.. I feel like a have a new truck. That is until I drove it off their lot. 36 degrees in Omaha today and it’s a sloppy mess.