The official how many miles on your Tahoe Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

hcauto74

Reaction score
Bull bar need help!!

I have a 1999 Tahoe LT 4x4 . I've been looking for quite sometime for a chrome bull bar thats cheap. It's not very hard to find a cheap black one but i need help finding a chrome one under $200

JAWZ

Reaction score
I would wager that I have the least miles on the oldest Tahoe. I inherited my 1999 Tahoe LT 4dr 2wd about 3 years ago. When I left TX for VA in April of 2014, it had ~23,000 miles on it. It currently has about 45,000 miles on it. It's made one trip back to TX from VA and one trip to OH and back to VA.

dmad1

Reaction score
'12 LT 2 wheel drive with 93k. Changed tranny fluid in pan with filter at 85k. Still looked dirty, so recently did a flush with 10 quarts. Easy to flush. Don't pay to have it done. Paid $200 for first change at 85k but they couldn't get the pan off without dropping the exhaust so they skipped that but was able to reach in and change the filter. The fluid still looked a little brown, so did the flush myself. Pretty pink now. Was not having problems with tranny but figured it was on borrowed time.
For several months now, it seemed to be sluggish and didn't accelerate like I felt it should. Figured it might be an injector problem so I ran some Chevron Techron through it two times with no change and them the same with Sea Foam. Read an article on an injector cleaner from Amsoil called Pi. After two tanks of fuel, it runs like it's supposed to. Good stuff. Other than that, it has never been to a shop except or oil changes. The second tire change, I put on Cooper Mastercraft 10 ply tires and love them. Can't tell that it hurt the ride at all. Hoping to get many, many more miles out of it even though the wife wants a new one.

bill77056

Reaction score
Repair History 2005 Tahoe 4X4 Z71 In-Service 1/5/05

This is an update to 130.9k miles; 2/2/18

Repl SDM Module
Reprogram Power Control Engine; Install Exhaust Vibration Damper
Repl Intermediate Steering Shaft and Fuel Level Sensor
Repl Transfer Case Actuator
Repl: L Temp Valve Actuator, Pwr Brake Booster, RR Window Regulator
Repl LR TPMS Sensor
Repl: HVAC Control, R Temp Valve Actuator, Steering Shaft
Repl Lower Column Bearing and L Temp Valve Actuator
Repl Blower Motor Resistor
Repl High Mounted LED Brake Light
Repl Transfer Case Encoder Motor Sensor
Repl All (7) Instrument Cluster Stepper Motors
Repl Canister Vent valve (104.1k mi)
Repl Purge Solenoid
Repl water pump (106.3k mi)
Repl right outside mirror lamp
Repl driver side seat and arm rest covers (114k mi)
Repl rear window lift supports
Repl rear brakes and rotors, AC blower motor, left temp. actuator, instrument panel rheostat (118.8k mi)
Remove gas tank; Repl vapor canister, fuel lines, vent solenoid and fuel pump (121.3k mi)
NOTE: one might consider preventive maintenance to change charcoal vapor canister ~100k mi
Replace front bulbs: Sidemarker (2), DRL (2) DIY cost $14 (123.1 mi)
Recover headliner
Replace starter motor

shane.nelson

Reaction score
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1999 Chevy Tahoe LT 4x4
160,000 miles

So I'm having a vibration issue on my Tahoe. I've done a lot, and I mean a lot to try and solve the problem. This is just a list of what I've done.
-Rebuilt Front and Rear diff.
-Rebuilt transfer case
-Rear drive shaft re-balanced with new slip yoke and u-joints
-New front axel half shafts
-New front wheel hub assemblies
-New 265-70-18 AT Tires on GM wheels off of a 2010 Tahoe
-New upper and lower ball joints
-New(ish) shocks all the way around
Any idea what else it could be? I didn't mind spending the money on these things, even if it didn't fix the problem. I plan on keeping the Tahoe for a long time. However this vibration at 65+ mph is getting annoying. The steering could be tighter to be honest. I kinda thought motor mounts as well. They are original with 160k on the clock. Idler and pitman arm are original as well.

dmad1

Reaction score
Not sure if you did this or not. Jack up the front. Grab the tire with one hand on top and the other under it and see if you make move it up and down. If so adjust the movement out of the bearing. Also, I recently viewed a '14 Silverado video of it on the rack and they were checking for drive shaft run out. It also looked as if the carrier bearing was wobbling. Just guessing.

GUMP

Reaction score
i have a 99 with 123k on the body and a little over 60 on the jasper 5.7. bout the rig last week from the dealership that i work at after the liberty i owned had an unfortunate encounter with a power pole. so far runs like a champ. i live in western PA so the salt has gotten to the rockers and wheel wells and the blower motor seems to be out. but for $500 i cant complain.

rickcott

Reaction score
2003 Tahoe

My 2003 Tahoe just passed 374K miles. Original motor & transmission.
Still running very well. A few rattles and squeaks in the dash but otherwise OK.

my.offroad.z71

Reaction score
I have (recently bought in February 2018) a 2004 Z71 currently 174+K and RUNS like it has 17K!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tahoe_driver

Reaction score
@Roody,

Service 4WD message means nothing, If you get it, stop the car, turn it off, and turn it back on, it should go away, if it doesn't, then it's an issue, but that's rare

tahoe_driver

Reaction score
2003 Chevy Tahoe Z71....
Just hit 245,000 Miles, I bought it with 230,000 miles, in that time, I've done:

New Water Pump
Alternator
Brakes
Maintained Regularly
Factory 5.3 and factory trans, still going along perfect

valvoline10fan

Reaction score
05 Tahoe 126 k on it still original brakes no a lick of probs only use dexos oil in her & ac filters getting her ready for a trip to Tahoe in july/aug ;)

Flying Dutchman

Reaction score
Mine, LT 2004, has 77k on the clock. Apart from bit rust, not so strange in these northern countries, and A/C system down, no problems at all. Big great Truck!

marcus4450

Reaction score
Need a Tech 2 to source the issue. Generally a dealership has to do this. The Transfer case computer module will only communicate with a tech 2. Sometimes the tccm has to be re-programmed, if not then it’s something mechanically malfuntioning like the actuator or the transfer case motor. It’s best not to switch between gears until resolved or you might get stuck in a gear (4 low) and then it will need to be towed.

my.offroad.z71

Reaction score
I have a 2004 Z71 Tahoe with 175k... A side from the normal rear bumper cancer (rust) especially with these northeast winters!!!
Other than that issue I have been asked a couple of times when I came to a car show and the attendant asked me if I was putting the truck in the show!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tahoe Tom

Reaction score
99 Tahoe

My 99 Tahoe has just about 221,000. I purchased it when it has 36k and have maintained it very well with synthetic oil, train flushes etc... Never had a problem other than the usual slight. I wish the brakes grabbed better at higher speeds and my rear cargo doors leak at the top. I'll likely keep this one as long as it lasts until 300,000 (or more) because I love it and it drives strong like the day I bought it! I've done led updates and added a K&N air intake for which Is all fantastic. I wash it frequently and the paint still looks great! Also, my favorite add-on, a sweet sunroof! Love it so much, wish I had added it years ago. You can drive a lot more without using a/c!

Last edited: