ticking when started

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mstowe

Reaction score
:confused:i have a 2000 tahoe 68000 miles on it n everytime you start it say next morning or hours later it ticks like a lifter tick dont know why it has the 5.3 it goes away but it just bothers me has excellent oil pressure when its started n running runs great just dont know about the lifter tick or what ever it is. was gona take to dealer. i wouldnt think it would need a cam n lifters but im not a certifid mechanic thanks for any help.

newbie1276

Reaction score
its carbon build up on top of pistons. only makes noise on cold start then goes away as truck warms up and carbon get soft. gm had a big hoopla over this and was gonna recall trucks and short block the engine. but then realized how many of these vehicles were out there and decided to put out a bulletin explaining the noise. my yukon has been making noise since about 40k and now at 100k same noise but no problems. i would not worry about it. a company called BG products makes a fuel cleaning kit that clears it away for about a month then it comes right back. tried every product out there on my truck from every distributor i buy product from none gave it a permanent fix but the BG product worked the best.

97turbocobra

Reaction score
I beleave it is called piston slap.let it warm up and then ride, you will be fine.Mine has done it for several years now

2001Yuke

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It could be worse... Your tranny could be out :) Mine has been ticking since right around 60k too, now at 74k the tranny blew...