Tips for maximizing fuel economy

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

2000 limited

Full Access Member
Reaction score
people stick to the basics... just rember your driving a tank not a prius..

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I know this is more about maintenance, but keep your truck tuned up well too...

-Make sure your air filter is clean
-Replace cap/rotor/spark plugs at recommended intervals
-Keep clean fluids (engine oil, ATF, etc)
-Make sure the EGR unit is clean and operating well
-No check engine lights (example is if oxygen sensors are bad... that will wate gas)

-Also... some mods will help... such as intake, exhuast, etc.
-MSD 6A ignition amp really helps burn up all the gas that's being sprayed which = better response and mpg.
-One mod that I REALLY wish I done sooner are Electric Fans! So far I only drove 1/2 tank all city drives, and I already have more than 2mpg! Plus teh truck drives smoother, quieter, and HP you can feel. Plus it's relatively easy to install, and doesnt effect smog.

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Interesting read!

I've had my 95 since the Saturday after Christmas, and have been checking the fuel usage since my first full tank. I'm up to a whopping 13.2 right now, which is an improvement from the 12.4! :D

I got the truck from a dealer, and it may have been there for some time. It didn't run great at first, definite lag on acceleration, etc. When I got it home, I checked the air filter, etc. which were all fresh. The tires look like they're inflated well (I can't find a sticker to see what's recommended, and since it's been below zero, there's no point in checking the inflation until I can get a true read).

I added some injection cleaner which really helped with the way the truck runs, plus a few tanks of new gas must have washed out whatever condensation/crud that may have been in the old gas from the dealer.

I will taking it for a long freeway drive soon, I'll set the cruise control to 65 and see what the maximum mileage I can get from it at that time.

In the spring, I will be changing all the fluids to synthetic (as I am already a big fan of them).

What I did notice, that was strange, is the big difference in the published EPA ratings for the truck, anywhere from 12-20mpg highway!:confused2: Again, since I can't find a factory sticker, I don't know what gear ratio I have, etc., but with stock tires at 65mph, I'm at about 1800rpms.

Anyway, as I do more stuff, I'll post any improvements.

I didn't buy (actually got it free, in a way) this truck for mileage, I got it for interior space with 4x4, so I'm not looking through rose colored glasses. But if I can squeeze 17-19mpg out of here daily, I'll be happy!:yaya:

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, maybe a dumb question, but it's worth asking- Why does the EPA give the Tahoe a better rating than a Yukon, when they are the same truck? does that grill difference mean that much? LOL fueleconomy.gov shows the 95 Yukon 4x4 at 12 and 95 Tahoe 4x4 at 16, a 30% difference...

TahoeGoBoom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Actually, maybe a dumb question, but it's worth asking- Why does the EPA give the Tahoe a better rating than a Yukon, when they are the same truck? does that grill difference mean that much? LOL fueleconomy.gov shows the 95 Yukon 4x4 at 12 and 95 Tahoe 4x4 at 16, a 30% difference...

the tahoe front grill makes for more airflow...
:smilielol:
hahahaha. idk. thats a good point. you should ask fueleconomy.gov

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just checked it again, 13.7! Going in the right direction! Temps are finally better, I can check the tire pressures. Just about time for another bottle of injector cleaner (might Seafoam this time).

I'll be picking up a full tune-up kit soon as well (including filters). When I go for my oil change in a few weeks, she'll get full synthetics in the engine, diffs, and transfer case. I'd do the tranny too, I may be asking for trouble at 156k miles without a rebuild...

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
14.47mpg! Yeah baby! I have a 250 mile drive on Monday, will be running a can of Seafoam through her at that time. If the weather breaks, I'll install all the new tune-up parts that I got this past week!

Woo-Hoo!

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My father drives 250+ miles round trip when he goes fishing. He normally drives an '04 LX470, but lately he's been driving my Yukon (while I service his truck). He used to say how much better mpg his Lexus got over the Yukon last year... but now he says whatever I did, the yukon and his LX470 are getting similar mpg. I want to get exact #'s from him, but still, that was a nice compliment.

btw, the LX470 is rated at 13/17 mpg from Lexus.

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
16.04 mpg!!!! Always improving! I can't wait to get the tune-up in and the front-end aligned! 20mpg here we come!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JP422

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow... what kinda gas are you using? Are you driving dowh hill often? Are you keeping up w/ the speed limit?... you must sporting one of those Tahoe grills eh?

;o)

79powerwagon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Gas is just our regular, run of the mill winter blend E10 garbage. Yes, I don't speed or drive with a heavy foot (unless needed), but I don't putt around either. Actually, I'm finding if I drive it a bit harder, it does better on gas. Must have something to do with the most efficient portion of the power band...

I need to get a vacuum gauge installed to monitor the engine's efficiency, but that will be after the other things I need to do first.

96350tahoe

Reaction score
Best thing ever.. K&N Air Filter! These things increased performance and fuel economy for sure..

trisswines

Reaction score
I am looking to buy a brand new Hybrid Tahoe I have a couple questions I desired to see if somebody on this site perhaps leased or bought their auto-mobile online or from a dealership, I decided to go with a lease company and I wanted some feedback on what you all thought about it are you able to check it out and let me know.

Traffic Offences

MrSmooth1031

Reaction score
To add to the discussion, I have noticed a little better fuel economy by adjusting my A/C settings. My '97 has simple basic controls and this summer I did some testing to find out what made my A/C work the most efficient. When my A/C is set on "MAX" or "Recirculate" the overall air conditioning system pressure is dramatically reduced, in turn there is less strain on the compressor to pump the R-134. When your A/C is set to "Fresh Air" the air coming in is hotter therefore increasing the pressure and putting extra strain on the compressor, in turn costing you more in fuel. On my '97 the compressor still cycles on/off while the "MAX" option is turned on. Some newer cars, I believe mostly the imports will override the compressor cycling and leave the compressor going all the time which decreases fuel economy. The advantage is once the cars inside temperature cools down the compressor cycles off more frequently, and as you lower the blower setting for comfort, the compressor cycles off even more. I did this test using an engine load monitor and it should a drastic decrease in load when the "Recirculate" or "MAX" setting is used.

spicewood1

Reaction score
Why has nobody mentioned cutting weight? My 99 is in a good state of tune and alignment and gets 19.5 mpg highway. I am trying to cut 2000 lbs out of her as a goal. These trucks are ridiculously heavy - no excuse to be over 3600 lbs and they are way over 5000.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
MPG difference between the Yukon and the Tahoe were mentioned, was the Yukon a Yukon XL (Suburban) model perhaps????

gmantcmn

Reaction score
Only friggin way I'm getting anything over 13MPG outta my 99 ToeHoe is by TAILGATING
Da SHOES OFF the back END of THE BIGGEST SEMI-Trailer I find going MY WAY!!!
TUCK WAY UP IN THAT DRAFT, CLOSE my EYES and TAKE A NAP!!!!:flame:

Spar

Reaction score
I have to agree on the higher quality gas. I went with ultra-cheap gas from some shade tree dive of a gas station, and soon thereafter ended up replacing a fuel pump on my '99 Tahoe (Just can't call her a 'Hoe :hahano: ). Worth the few extra pennies to avoid a big repair. Oh, and as far as I can tell, Im getting 15 mpg, no mods (yet):peace: