tire pressure

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jerome A Franks

Reaction score
I normally air my tires on my 05 tahoe to 38 or so. For whatever reason my mpg jmps too 18 butt if its lower than 38 I get 14.5.. What pressure should the tires be on a pair of stock wheels and tires

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow ....considering the max rating on most tires are 35 psi ....

when the tire warms up it builds pressure so you might be running at almost 40 lbs psi

Jerome A Franks

Reaction score
i take it that i did something wrong. by have them that high.. But hell man with gas prices that high- i was loving the good mgp i was getting

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If your tires are under infalted, they will wear on the outside edges quicker. if they are over inflated, they will wear in the center. I work at a dealership and we usally set the tire pressures at 32-36psi. You can have nitrogen put in your tires. nitrogen does not increase pressure when they warm up like air does, thus when you have your tire set at say 36psi, they will stay at 36 all time.

greengumby

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i take it that i did something wrong. by have them that high.. But hell man with gas prices that high- i was loving the good mgp i was getting

No worries there ..I agree with the prices at they are I'm would do the same thing ..hehehe

If your tires are under infalted, they will wear on the outside edges quicker. if they are over inflated, they will wear in the center. I work at a dealership and we usally set the tire pressures at 32-36psi. You can have nitrogen put in your tires. nitrogen does not increase pressure when they warm up like air does, thus when you have your tire set at say 36psi, they will stay at 36 all time.

I wouldnt feel safe riding around with very explosive tires on my ride :)
Nitrogen unless it's in its liquid form is quite unstable ..:)

good idea though ....

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I wouldnt feel safe riding around with very explosive tires on my ride :)
Nitrogen unless it's in its liquid form is quite unstable ..:)

Nitrogen is really stable. 78% of the air we breathe is Nitrogen. Molecular nitrogen, N2, is a triple bond and one of the strongest found in nature.

ugachs24

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have Goodyear Wrangler Silentarmors on my 2004 Tahoe, they're C rated LT 275/70/17's and their max inflation is 80PSI, recommended is 40, but I keep them at 55. When I first put them on I kept them at 40 and they dropped my MPG by 3 city and 2 highway, but when I put more pressure on them, it it equaled back out.

tac53lpd

Reaction score
The TPM light keeps going off on my 05 yukon. The DIC says the pressure in my left front tire is 23 PSI. I dorve the truck for awhile to heat up the tires and stopped at the gas station to fill up the tire. The sticker on the door jam says 32 PSI. I put the gauge on the tire and it said 32 PSI. I checked the DIC again and it said 27 PSI. Whats up with this?

hoser

Reaction score
I run what the mfg puts on the side wall of the tire not what the sticker in the door says, never had any problems.

My BFG's say Max load at 80 psi cold so thats what I run 80 psi.

On a side note hopefully you have the right size tire on your rims, tires too wide for the rims or too narrow do funny things..

hoser

Reaction score
The TPM light keeps going off on my 05 yukon. The DIC says the pressure in my left front tire is 23 PSI. I dorve the truck for awhile to heat up the tires and stopped at the gas station to fill up the tire. The sticker on the door jam says 32 PSI. I put the gauge on the tire and it said 32 PSI. I checked the DIC again and it said 27 PSI. Whats up with this?

I am no expert but I would say the calibration between your DIC (what ever that is) and the tire pressure gauge your using is different IE every tire pressure gauge you pick up is not going to read the same, you can bet ANY of the gauges made in China will NOT be right, China makes stuff that looks like a tire gauge they dont care about function.

I have four different Mildon tire gauges and they read real close to each other (one to two pounds) people keep giving me these free made in china tire pressure guages as gifts, safety trinkets etc. their always 10-20 psi away from the four mildon gauges I have, I bust them in half and send them to my local land fill to spend the next few thousand years reading methane pressures:gy:

tac53lpd

Reaction score
DIC= Driver Information Center. Trust me I did not come up with that on my own. Straight out of the owners manual.

road1will

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Holy ****, are you guys really running 55 and 80psi????? I cant imagine how terrible your trucks must ride. I'd love to see your tires after they have a few thousand miles on them!!!

Run 33-34 front and 35-36 rear.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score
80psi?! WOW. The tire pressure that is on the sidewall of the tire is the maximum tire pressure for the tire. the truck is desighned around your tires. what the manufacturer of your vehicle recomends is what you should be running. If you guys went to a tire shop or a dealership, I'm positive that they will not recomend you run your tire at anything more than 45psi. But if that is what you want to do, that is on you.

matt14

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Just a question, have you had your tires rotated or had other rims installed? If so, the wheel that reads i.e " RF=27psi " may actually be the right rear. Or if you had your wheels repalced, the tpms are probalby in a different rim. This happened when I had my wheels put on. I had a low tire say left front, but that tire was inflated ok. It was the left rear that had a leak. When if check my tire pressure on the DIC,and check the wheels, they are only maybe a 1-2psi difference. Also I would set the tire pressure at 36psi. that is what mine are set at and dont have a problem.

hoser

Reaction score
Holy ****, are you guys really running 55 and 80psi????? I cant imagine how terrible your trucks must ride. I'd love to see your tires after they have a few thousand miles on them!!!

Run 33-34 front and 35-36 rear.

Surprisingly enough my Tahoe rides better than my 87 chevy short bet 1/2 ton 2WD with 35psi

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow ....considering the max rating on most tires are 35 psi ....

when the tire warms up it builds pressure so you might be running at almost 40 lbs psi

dude... show me a picture of a tire that is max rated at 35psi... i have never seen one... that is the standard for every tire i have ever run, yes, but not the max rating. I keep 40 in my tires at all times and i have no uneven wear, and i get better milage, the only problem i have with running 40psi is that it ride a little rougher

also dude, nitrogen is perfectly stable, O2 is way more combustable than nitrogen is, hence nitrous oxide... oxide being the key word there, its the oxygen that is flamable, the nitrogen is just a cooling agent

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
dude... show me a picture of a tire that is max rated at 35psi... i have never seen one...

Back when I had my 87 Cavalier the tire size was 185/70/13 :lol: Talk about a donut - and yes I often did end up with a tire with a max inflation rating of 35 psi printed on the sidewall.

But yeah that's kind of a rare occurrence now.