to those who have a BB tune

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
wow, you really have the same sh!t... although i like the white LEDs a bit better

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torque management is used to limit the amount of torque the engine is putting out to try and reduce the possibility of hurting the drivetrain. This of course causes reduced performance. Reducing this gives you some protection, and increased performance. Removing it altogether will give you the best performance increase, but will also increase the risk to your drivetrain. Tell Justin what you want and he will give you something reasonable.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have a tune on your truck , can the dealer tell if you have one. even if you remove the tune before going to dealer. (dealer says they can vold your warranty YES or NO.

Read this for the warranty issue.

http://www.tahoeforum.com/showthread.php?t=3312

If it's a worry, pay the core charge and keep your old PCM, then when you take it into the shop just swap the tuned one out first then swap it back when you get the truck back.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Torque management is used to limit the amount of torque the engine is putting out to try and reduce the possibility of hurting the drivetrain. This of course causes reduced performance. Reducing this gives you some protection, and increased performance. Removing it altogether will give you the best performance increase, but will also increase the risk to your drivetrain. Tell Justin what you want and he will give you something reasonable.

This brings me back to the Tow/Haul button... is it possible to allow a "resonable" ammount of TM under normal driving and then when i press the T/H button it removes ALL the TM?

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
This brings me back to the Tow/Haul button... is it possible to allow a "resonable" ammount of TM under normal driving and then when i press the T/H button it removes ALL the TM?

my understanding is Justin can set it up about any way you want including what you describe but obviously he would need to answer that one, or at least someone else who has had theirs set up that way.

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
no thats about right from my understanding... innitially i was under the impresion that the T/H button only changed the shift patterns though, i didnt think it looked at anythign else. although i do enjoy driving my how around with the T/H button on, it has more pep

All he can do witht he tow/haul is adjust the tranny tables, which include the TM..no engine features can be changed...its basically so you can drive 80% tm removed all the time, then hit that button and have 100% removed for when you want it, firmer shifts and such

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
From my research, TM works by retarding the timing during "abusive" actions such as WOT from a stop, WOT during shifts, etc. Timing is retarded to decrease torque output, more likely GM's way to help longevity of the drivetrain.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
www.performancetrucks.net

....read lots and lots of tuning threads, there is some confusion over torque management, abuse modes, etc. Isn't really complicated once you get into the jist of it, but confusing as hell starting out.

FATHERFORD

Reaction score
So my question is, is there a large difference between 93 and 87 tune?

I personally would do 93 if it was my vehicle, but it's my fiancee's 2nd car(she is the primary driver) and unless for a fact the gas mileage will increase at least a full MPG, i doubt she would be happy paying the extra $6-7 a tank for fill up just for $hits and giggles.

I personally would like to have the regular tune for daily driving/towing, then hit the tow haul button for 100% TM removed and even firmer shifts.

I already ordered coated long tubes, have a factory electric fan setup, and a slp intake installed. I hope this tune completes the package and gives that little extra oomph these hoes need, and a little better mpg to boot.

Still can't decide if I want to do a mild head/cam swap though.

Last edited:

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i was wondering the same thing but i figure i would talk to justin about it.... I am growing more and more impatient! I want my cable so bad... i cant wait to feel my tahoe come alive!

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
According to my recent correspondence with justin via e-mail, a typical 87 octane tune will net 10-15 horsepower at the wheels. A high octane (91-93) tune will get you an additional 10-15 over the 87 tune, along with another .5-1 mpg. This is assuming I've read everything correctly...does 30hp at the wheels from a tune seem like a little bit of an overzealous number to anyone else? Regardless, it all depends on the individual vehicle and modifications.

Once my tax return comes in, I'm thinking that I'll definitely be doing this.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Just had my tune done today. Had all TM removed and shifts firmed way up. Holy $*^t:eek2: Night and day difference. I layed into it and got the truck sideways out of a gas station on the drive back home. Even a steady cruise down the highway was completely different. Slightly hilly terrain used to slow the truck down on inclines and I had to give it a lot more gas to keep a steady pace. Now it effortlessly keeps a steady pace going uphill without hardly anymore input from the accelerator. The truck lunges forward during shifts at WOT. Now I'm kicking myself in the butt for not doing this a long time ago.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i got on the list a week or two ago... justin said it was about 5 weeks

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just had my tune done today. Had all TM removed and shifts firmed way up. Holy $*^t:eek2: Night and day difference. I layed into it and got the truck sideways out of a gas station on the drive back home. Even a steady cruise down the highway was completely different. Slightly hilly terrain used to slow the truck down on inclines and I had to give it a lot more gas to keep a steady pace. Now it effortlessly keeps a steady pace going uphill without hardly anymore input from the accelerator. The truck lunges forward during shifts at WOT. Now I'm kicking myself in the butt for not doing this a long time ago.

what else do you have done to the tahoe? I cant even get mine to do a burnout let alone spin the tires..and thats with the 93 octane tune

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I ordered the Jenna tune. Jenna told me its the most aggressive tune there is. I got this on Tow Haul. Its a little untame for everyday. So for regular every day I just had the shifts changed. Even in regular mode its INCREDIBLY different. I got 93 all the way around. 85% removed in stock form and 100% removed with the jenna tune activated. The truck is 1000000000% more drivable and smoother. I cant wait to have the yukon done. As My silverado only had 285. It blows the yukon away at 320 hp. I cant wait to see what it does to the yukon. Im getting the exact same tune for the yukon. I wanna know if Justin will tune Diesels or not.

BTW in Jenna mode. HOLD THE F*CK ON. It will BLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW YOU AWAY. I can make this truck do sideways burn outs with no brake. I just floor it around a turn and keep the wheel turned in the other direction and can go miles down the road like that if I let it. Its incredible. :lol:

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
what else do you have done to the tahoe? I cant even get mine to do a burnout let alone spin the tires..and thats with the 93 octane tune
Right now all I have is an S&B intake and a 10 series single-chamber Flowmaster. I also did away with the engine driven fan which helped some. What gears do you have? I'm running 3.73s in the rear.
Justin mentioned something about the intake setup I have working very well, being as there was hardly any pressure drop.
How heavy is your BTL and enclosure set-up in the rear?

Nickleahy23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Right now all I have is an S&B intake and a 10 series single-chamber Flowmaster. I also did away with the engine driven fan which helped some. What gears do you have? I'm running 3.73s in the rear.
Justin mentioned something about the intake setup I have working very well, being as there was hardly any pressure drop.
How heavy is your BTL and enclosure set-up in the rear?

e-fans are on my list of upgrades..as well as an intake..

and the BTL is fairly heavy..80 lbs for the sub then the weight of 2 sheets of mdf lol..im sure its not helping me at all..i guess i can find out better when i put it back in the truck in a month or so...i have 3.73's as well

FATHERFORD

Reaction score
i was wondering the same thing but i figure i would talk to justin about it.... I am growing more and more impatient! I want my cable so bad... i cant wait to feel my tahoe come alive!

I should be up in a week or two I got inline on feb 3rd. I even offered to just buy a scan cable but he had none in stock and to be cost effective for shipping it would be additional $55 unless two other people wanted them(hint hint people buy some:D )

Pretty sure I'm going to go with the 87 octane tune. Sure the extra power would be nice, but After going through Katrina and ONLY 87 octane available, I would hate to have another vehicle that was 93 octane only. Unless I can get this EFI live and two tunes from Justin and just switch them out.