TPMS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just had new tires put on, and the TPMS system is going crazy. Now before you tell me to get out my manual and read page whatever and do all these steps, trust me, ive already been there, and the tire place has already used their reprogramming device for this.

Now, the actual problem is that since i went from a 265/65/18 to a 285/65/18, the psi's are different, 30psi and 50psi respectively. The TPMS is working fine telling me that there is air at X amount in each tire but what it thinks it that there is TOO much air in each tire since its programmed to be at 30psi and now we are at 50psi.

This is a weird dilemma, and the tire guy called today and said that the dealership could REprogram the tires so that it would KNOW 50psi is the correct measurement, BUT its going to cost about $150 to $200 :eek:

is there any possible way to keep the TPMS working and reprogram it without paying that much! thats insane amount to tell the computer one thing...

thanks guys and i hope this all makes sense...

ozarkgolfer

Reaction score
Google your question first and/or read this...

Seems other owners have had a similar problem and have actually over inflated the tire and bled the air out so that the TPMS sensor could relearn the new air pressures you want to be calibrated to. Try this before you go spending big dollars at the dealer.

Also, Discount Tire has the resetting tools if needed and might be cheaper than your gouger - I mean dealer.

Last edited:

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My question to you is why are you running 50lbs of air in the tires? The door sticker is supposed to be the correct tire pressure. The pressure listed on the side of the tire is the max inflation for that tire. I going to assume that your tire size you changed to is from a P series tire to a LT tire. The normal operating tire pressure shouldnt change. Just the LT tires are capable of taking more pressure and load.

John

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Wow, you give a whole new meaning to the fraise "like a rock".

Is 50 psi what the selling tire shop recommended?

It should be more like 38 psi, if you want a really nice ride closer to a caddy then drop that psi to 33 all around.

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I think the problem is not the tires, but that you're running 50 psi. That's insanely high... drop it down to 35.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha ok i didnt mention they are LT not a P series!!

anyway the tires im running are the BF Goodrich A/T's and the max is 80psi so thats like a freaking rock! 50psi is normal for street wear and they said if i run 30 i would wear the crap outa my tires... just tear them up, dont want to do that!

so yeah 50psi for these tires IS normal :skep: :sla:

GMTech48

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the entire problem here is the WAY OVERCHARGE by the dlr you take it to.....I've done this proceedure and it takes no more than a half hr to 45 mins to do...what is their hourly rate any way???????

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
After Many yrs in the auto industry, I would love to see a LT tire wear out from normal tire pressures. These tires have such and agressive tread pattern they are going to wear funny if you had 80 or 35psi in them. Good luck

Vrrooom

Full Access Member
Reaction score
haha ok i didnt mention they are LT not a P series!!

anyway the tires im running are the BF Goodrich A/T's and the max is 80psi so thats like a freaking rock! 50psi is normal for street wear and they said if i run 30 i would wear the crap outa my tires... just tear them up, dont want to do that!

so yeah 50psi for these tires IS normal :skep: :sla:

50psi is not normal, 35 is.

They will wear like **** no matter what, keep them rotated and balanced to fix that. And in terms of chewing them up, no way. BFG A/Ts are a hard compound tire that will last a long time regardless if you run 35 or 50 psi.

NASTY GM

Reaction score
I had the same problem when I first put my 26's on. I had the air pressure at 44 psi. I dropped them to 40 psi and have no more problems :thumbsup:

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the entire problem here is the WAY OVERCHARGE by the dlr you take it to.....I've done this proceedure and it takes no more than a half hr to 45 mins to do...what is their hourly rate any way???????

i dont know b/c i did not get my tires there, and the tire shop talked to the dealer. But i will take it up there and ask them and tell them it can be done in 30 minutes! :yesnod:

After Many yrs in the auto industry, I would love to see a LT tire wear out from normal tire pressures. These tires have such and agressive tread pattern they are going to wear funny if you had 80 or 35psi in them. Good luck

thats what im saying, is dude at tire shop said 50psi is normal for that tire. i dunno dont yall think putting 35psi is too low for that? i mean if i cant get the TPMS to work right i dont care THAT much compared to having to get new tires every few months because the tire is too flat, know what i mean?

what do you guys think?

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes on a 3/4 ton truck 50psi would be min what the door sticker would say. Just lower the tire pressure to 35psi and enjoy. As for being flat every few months if they did the install properly these tire should not to have much air added and then your TPMS will allert you as a problem.

At 50 psi hows the truck ride......... Harsh and very light steering?

John

ozarkgolfer

Reaction score
Yes on a 3/4 ton truck 50psi would be min what the door sticker would say. Just lower the tire pressure to 35psi and enjoy. As for being flat every few months if they did the install properly these tire should not to have much air added and then your TPMS will allert you as a problem.

At 50 psi hows the truck ride......... Harsh and very light steering?

John

Do not run your tires under the recommended tire manufacturer pressure. If 50 is called for by the tire manufacturer you HAVE to run 50. Running them under the proper pressures will give you a problem with the tire overheating and potential blowout. Do you guys not remember the issues with Explorer/Firestone tires a few years back?

Last edited:

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ozark the problem is that FORD spec's the tire Pressure of 26psi. Ford did this avoid roll overs. If you put the tire's on the explorer at a more normal 34psi, they tended to want to roll over easier. Most car I work on do not have the proper tire inflation(Low).
I have yet to find on any tire listed a min recomended tire pressure for each tire. All were are advsieing him to do is too put the proper amount of air listed on the door sticker. Running the tire this level will not cause any issue's.

John

ozarkgolfer

Reaction score
Ozark the problem is that FORD spec's the tire Pressure of 26psi. Ford did this avoid roll overs. If you put the tire's on the explorer at a more normal 34psi, they tended to want to roll over easier. Most car I work on do not have the proper tire inflation(Low).
I have yet to find on any tire listed a min recomended tire pressure for each tire. All were are advsieing him to do is too put the proper amount of air listed on the door sticker. Running the tire this level will not cause any issue's.

John
Go here:
http://www.firestonecompleteautocare.com/tires/pressure.jsp

I ran the numbers on a 4wd 2500 Suburban with the same spec tire as the original poster. Firestone recommends 50psi in the front and 71 psi in the back.

Ojustracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
WHAT IS THE CORRECT PRESSURE? From the firestone web site
The first place to look for the correct air pressure for your specific tires is your vehicle owner's manual. Correct air pressure should also be listed on the tire placard attached to the vehicle door edge, doorpost, glove box door or fuel door. You may use the tool above to view the manufacturer recommended inflations for standard sized tires on your vehicle.

To the original poster, based on the above firstone web site you are going to have to run 50 psi in the front and 71 in the rear............. when you run this tire size. When the truck rides like SHi*. Please come back and tell us so.

Yes LT tires are noramlly used in a HD duty application. First the trucks weight more and are capable of supporting/towing more. This issue doesnt have to be this hard. Put the tires are the door sticker and be done with.

John

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
ok an update:

ojustracing: being at 50psi is not really that rough, but more so than the stockers

i called BF Goodrich and gave them the specs to my tires and the lady said that a good psi for that specific tire is 40-45spi, said anything lower than 40psi is a no go. then i called the stealership and asked them what the MAX psi i could put in the stock tires before the sensor would go crazy and think i had too much pressure. Dude said i could fill the stockers to about 44psi but the TPMS only reads up to about 38spi.

Now heres the kicker... the dude at the stealership said this problem could not be solved - no programming available. BUT dude at tire shop talked to another dude at some stealership and said it COULD be done but for 150 smackers. WOW i hate lazy people

you think TPMS would work with these! :cool2:

Attachments

• M3_single1.jpg
    M3_single1.jpg
    21.8 KB · Views: 2

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why speak to the horses a-s-s when you can speak to his head?

try this number (866) 407-TPMS see if someone there can help you.

uofmz71

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Why speak to the horses a-s-s when you can speak to his head?

try this number (866) 407-TPMS see if someone there can help you.

haha, well an even newer UPDATE!!

so i figured the one dumba:Yawn::Yawn: at the dealership didnt know what he was talking about, SO i called another one, one that has been in town longer, and he told me some new information!

PROBLEM SOLVED!! he said the TPMS would read up to about 45psi and well i went out in the cold rain and lowered them down to about 42psi each, and BAM! works like a charm. i might go back to the tire place and let them know, plus i might try and get them to fill back to 45psi, just to test the waters, i got the nitrogen filled and kinda wanna keep it that way and most gas stations dont have that, im sure they will be more than willing, especially with the new information i have :thumbsup:

well that was fun and learn something new everyday, or in this case alot :eek2:

07SuburbanLTZ

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just remember that air in the tire expands when heated and contracts when cooled.

If you set the PSI to 42, you may just find out that 30 miles down the road the TPMS will act up because the PSI went up to 47 PSI.

Would it be best if you were to fill the tires to 40 PSI and let go up from there? Your the judge, juror and executioner on this one.