tranny cooler install

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

1CLNTHO

Reaction score
Hey all,

Im installing the B&M Tranny cooler w/ elec fan. that many seem to have on this site- its a great cooler and this is my third truck ive put it on. However, the tranny lines are confusing me a little bit. Correct me if im wrong, but the stock tranny cooler is not internal inside the radiator right? I was under the impression that the stock tranny cooler is the small cooler in front of the RAD Support? If so, I was wondering what you guys did with the lines since they are steel and attach to the stock one from the bottom; B&M says the must be attached from the top? Any help or pics that you guys have id be appreciative. Thank you in advance

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
My understanding is they all have the cooler internal to the radiator. If you have a towing package it will have the smaller auxiliary one. I have a 2K 'Ho with the 5.3. I installed a cooler on it. I'd hoped to use both the stock aux. cooler as well as the larger after market one I had bought but as you indicated, the stocker has solid lines, that made it difficult to plumb a new one in while keeping the stocker, plus, the fittings on the stocker were so tight I cracked it taking it off so it was a moot point. the cooler I used was a simple flow through design, fluid goes in one side comes out the other, so I just mounted it in a the best position I could find when it came to plumbing. I have some pics somewhere on this site but I'll be darned if I can find them. You just want to be sure you have your aux cooler mounted AFTER the internal radiator cooler.

1CLNTHO

Reaction score
Withac,

Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it. Funny you mention cracking the connector cause mine did the exact same thing, i figured it would though. I just installed my new cooler right in place of the old one after welding up new brackets, and then ran new soft bi-woven rubber tranny lines from the stock steel ones. Used flared ends and some fuel injector clamps and it seems to be working like a champ and its been on there for a couple days now. Havent got the fan to kick on yet, but thats fine with me, means its not gettin hot enough.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Withac,

Thanks for the reply, i appreciate it. Funny you mention cracking the connector cause mine did the exact same thing, i figured it would though. I just installed my new cooler right in place of the old one after welding up new brackets, and then ran new soft bi-woven rubber tranny lines from the stock steel ones. Used flared ends and some fuel injector clamps and it seems to be working like a champ and its been on there for a couple days now. Havent got the fan to kick on yet, but thats fine with me, means its not gettin hot enough.

No prob., glad you got 'er installed, sounds like a good, solid job.