Tranny fluid change, how to remove filter?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jager911

Reaction score
Hello,
I have an '02 Yukon XL flex-fuel 15004wd. I tow a 6000lb enclosed trailer and racecar about 6 times a year. I have 93k on it now and changed the fluid once at 60k without a filter change. I feel guilty towing and not changing the filter though the fluid was nice and red when I drained it. There is a bracket under the pan and the exhaust in the way of just dropping the pan.
What's the trick with getting the pan and filter out? Also, doesn't seem to be a gasket on the pan but the filter kit came with a gasket.

I hope you're not going to say "drop the exhaust", that would be really poor engineering for normal maintenance.

Any advice appreciated!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Take a look under your rig, if it is like mine there is nothing at all in the way and looks pretty easy compared to others that I have worked on in the past. I am going to do mine in the next week or two so if you haven't done yours by that time I will let you know the results!!

jager911

Reaction score
When I posted yesterday, I had already drained the fluid and removed all the pan bolts.
In the case of my '02 Yukon, the exhaust crosses over directly under the pan leaving about 2 inches of clearance. I'm going to try to wiggle the filter out today, I did find the gasket is on the pan so not easy to see it or change it w/o dropping the pan. There must be a way to get this off, looking for feedback from someone who's actually done this themselves on similar vehicle. As background, I've done engines, transmissions, struts, clutches etc so I'm not new to this. Normally, I just remove whatever is in the way but the exhaust bolts are rusty and don't feel like getting out the cut-off wheel for a simple tranny and filter change.

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
Yah, talk about a PIA!!!! Was a drain plug too much to ask for in the transmission pan??????

I actually had my 240lb. brother pull the linkage/bracket towards the driver's side enough that I could wiggle the pan down and out. Same thing going back in. I also removed the little heat shield on the passenger side of the transmission as well. Not sure if I actually had to do that though. I never actually loosened the exhaust at all. The filter should just pull straight down to get it out. Make sure you get the old o-ring out where the little neck goes up into the transmission.

I like our Tahoe alot, but the Chevy engineers really need to take some lessons from Ford engineers on how to make routine maintenance easier for people.