Transmission bangs into 2nd gear

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had trouble with the transmission (I think) shifting properly, and I thought it was fixed when I did the seafoam. It was running the best it ever had, then a few days after the treatment it started to bang into first gear again and the vacuum brake asst. seemed to lose power. So I did the seafoam again, but it didnt really fix the bang, but did fix the brake problem and it is running better. Is this problem a trans prob, or an engine prob and what should I do??? Please help? thanks!

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2003 LT flexfuel 4X2 5.3L, around 107,000 miles

Last edited:

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
It seems to not bang if I give it full throttle just fyi

JennaBear

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
What are your mods? Definitely sounds like transmission

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
K&N FIPK and high flow cats. Right after I did the seafoam it ran perfectly, no problems, which leads me to think it is something else. But about a week later it started to run funnny again.

Tahoe7689

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I also had the trans fluid changed a couple of weeks ago, and it did nothing.

andiamo

Reaction score
I had the exact same problem shortly after I bought my 2003 Tahoe with 77,000 miles on it. The transmission shop that I trust called it a flaring shift. The tranny shop took our truck to the Chevy dealership and had the transmission computer reprogrammed. Apparently there are several different programs they can put in to correct different shifting issues. I think all of these fixes were linked to TSB's. It has been two years since this fix was installed and I haven't noticed any degrading tranny performance issues. Going slow, you can still notice a slight kick when shifting into 2nd, but nothing like it was. Good luck.