unleaded or E85

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jdub_s

Reaction score
but, overall will E85 hurt the engine in the long run?

newtahoeltz

Reaction score
I would expect that since the truck has an E85 flex fuel designation by the manufacturer, etc.. that you could use it without long term effects....:Chevy:

sielo_X

Reaction score
It is true that corn based ethanol is not as efficient as gasoline but if you read this article, you will realize that there are other methods of making ethanol such as with sugar cane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

Unfortunately the infinite wisdom of the people on Capital Hill have decided to block any sugar cane ethanol even though it is much more efficient. But I still would much rather give an American farmer $3.00 for a gallon of E85 than a Saudi prince $2.50 for a gallon of gas.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
It is true that corn based ethanol is not as efficient as gasoline but if you read this article, you will realize that there are other methods of making ethanol such as with sugar cane.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ethanol_fuel_in_Brazil

Unfortunately the infinite wisdom of the people on Capital Hill have decided to block any sugar cane ethanol even though it is much more efficient. But I still would much rather give an American farmer $3.00 for a gallon of E85 than a Saudi prince $2.50 for a gallon of gas.

Yup ya just gotta love our government!

wedtwuk

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an early 07 LTZ. Some time ago I received a service bulletin from GM that said there was a bug in the computer program and that if you intend to run ethanol that you should take the vehicle to the dealer and have some sort of software upgrade done. I don't plan on using ethanol so I haven't had it done.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have an early 07 LTZ. Some time ago I received a service bulletin from GM that said there was a bug in the computer program and that if you intend to run ethanol that you should take the vehicle to the dealer and have some sort of software upgrade done. I don't plan on using ethanol so I haven't had it done.

I will have to ask the dealership about that as I haven't heard about that one.

1BadPig

Reaction score
You guys do realize that the reason running on E85 yields lower efficiency is because of engine tuning, right? Since most of the country runs on gasoline instead of E85, the engine is tuned to optimize gasoline as primary fuel. SAAB has a E100 engine that is tuned to ethanol and actually out performs its gasoline counterpart in power and efficiency.

I do have a question... our '07 Tahoe was a late build (around June 2007) and I noticed that it does not have the FlexFuel badge on the tailgate nor the yellow fuel cap. The window sticker clearly states E85 capable. Was this a change or did I get a "defective" vehicle?

Last edited:

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys do realize that the reason running on E85 yields lower efficiency is because of engine tuning, right? Since most of the country runs on gasoline instead of E85, the engine is tuned to optimize gasoline as primary fuel. SAAB has a E100 engine that is tuned to ethanol and actually out performs its gasoline counterpart in power and efficiency.

I do have a question... our '07 Tahoe was a late build (around June 2007) and I noticed that it does not have the FlexFuel badge on the tailgate nor the yellow fuel cap. The window sticker clearly states E85 capable. Was this a change or did I get a "defective" vehicle?

Check you're vin# and you're owners manual will tell you what vin#'s are flex fuel vehicles.

DHall15

Reaction score
Ok i just got my 07 LTZ it has a flex fuel badge, there is a gas station that has e85 for $.85 and with gas prices right now it is hard to pass that up, however I do not want to hurt the engine, just like everyone else.
If you have or had the option of e85 nearby for that cheap what would you guys do?

edit; They had the price mismarked it is 2.25... a gallon

Last edited:

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You guys do realize that the reason running on E85 yields lower efficiency is because of engine tuning, right? Since most of the country runs on gasoline instead of E85, the engine is tuned to optimize gasoline as primary fuel. QUOTE]

Actually alcohol has less energy content than gasoline which is why the engine tuning is modified when the computer senses the alcohol content.

k9family

Reaction score
We use E85 for our gov vehicles back at Benning. The gas mileage is truely worse, also at start up in the morning, especially when cold it barely stays running until its warm

1BadPig

Reaction score
Actually alcohol has less energy content than gasoline which is why the engine tuning is modified when the computer senses the alcohol content.

From SAAB's website on their E100 car (http://www.saab.com/main/GLOBAL/en/biopower100_no_sacrifices.shtml)... Running on E100, the 2.0 turbo concept engine also delivers a 65% increase in maximum torque. An exceptionally strong 400 Nm of torque is available between 3000 and 5100 rpm, compared to 240 Nm from 1800-3500 rpm for the unmodified engine on petrol. The secret lies in the E100’s ability to resist harmful self-ignition, or â€knockingâ€, as the fuel/air mixture is compressed in the cylinder. E100’s high 106 RON octane rating permits a higher engine compression ratio than is normally possible with turbocharging. This gives more power and greater combustion efficiency without risk of knocking. The increased compression ratio has been achieved by modifying the shape of the piston crowns to reduce the volume of the combustion chamber. The result: more torque, more quickly.

How does a turbocharged 5.3L running on E100 sound? :thumbsup:

jigga27

Reaction score

Do you really think its the "people" on capital hill or the American corn farmers' lobbyists?