Upgrade Suggestion+

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

SuperTruck99

Reaction score
I have a 02 Tahoe, and I'm looking for ANY suggestion on upgrades! I put a K&N intake system on and it works great. My next upgrade is a JET Performance Chip, and an exhaust system. If you guys have ANY SUGGESTIONS, send me a message. I'm interested in upgrading my truck. Thanks! Merry Christmas!

jordankreutzer

Reaction score
From what I've heard, maybe you should look into a Black Bear instead of the Jet. I don't personally have one, but from what I've read it is definitely worth it. I'm sure there are many people on this forum who would attest to this.

withac

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 02 Tahoe, and I'm looking for ANY suggestion on upgrades! I put a K&N intake system on and it works great. My next upgrade is a JET Performance Chip, and an exhaust system. If you guys have ANY SUGGESTIONS, send me a message. I'm interested in upgrading my truck. Thanks! Merry Christmas!

I haven't priced Jet chips lately but I put one on my Ram prolly 8 years ago. I saw a little increase in the shift points and maybe a slight overall performance increase but the Jet chip is just a plug it in and that's it, no tweaking. Back then I paid more for it than I'm paying Justin for my custom tune now. The Jet chip is just a generic set of tables for a given model. Even a hand held tuner still tunes for a generic vehicle, if I used a hand held tuner it would tune for a 2000 Tahoe with the 5.3 and only look at a few variables. The Black Bear tune will tune for MY 2000 Tahoe and allow for and adjust far more variables than the hand held do it yourself jobs. If you have access to a lap top the custom tune from Black Bear will be specific to how your vehicle runs because it is based on data from your ride. I'm in the middle of the process right now and Justin diagnosed a small air leak in the intake manifold on my 'Ho. FROM VIRGINIA! Amazing. I had no idea it was there. I'm going to fix it before he completes the tune. Since I don't have the tune yet I can't actually speak about it's performance but I can repeat what I said, the Jet cost more than this and was generic wheras this is my vehicle specific. Plus, Justin and Jenna are real good to work with.

Yang1815

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Definitely do the Black Bear tune. I've got it and love it.

What do you want to upgrade? Only performance?

SuperTruck99

Reaction score
I would like to upgrade for performance, & I would like to upgrade the body too. I'm starting with upgrading to performance parts first. The body can wait, so can the tires. Any more suggestions Yang815?

Yang1815

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What's your budget?

I'd definitely go with a supercharger if you want some serious performance. The exhaust would be next to open it up. I would then do a Black Bear tune after all that's done. Then I would probably do a drop with firmer suspension and strut bars for better handling along with low-profile tires and bigger/lighter rims. I would also consider at least stainless steel brake lines and big brake kits with probably a 6 piston calipers in the front for some stopping power. I'd personally stop there with performance and switch to exterior/interior. HIDs are a must for low beams, maybe even fogs if you want. I'd also get some LED tail lights and switch out all the interior/exterior lights with LEDs. Also tint the front 2 windows 20% to match the rear. Perhaps a grill if you like it with clear corners. Debadged can be considered. If you're really feeling it then, do some nice leather seat covers with custom embroidery and upgrade the headunit/speakers/sub/amp with GPS/bluetooth/back-up camera/DVD. Don't forget a 2-way security/remote start system to go with your truck. After that I'd feel very good about it. :) Happy modding!

Yang1815

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Don't forget the little things like delete the antenna and 4 or 6-high mods.