Water coming out of exhaust

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DaKing602

Reaction score
I had some water coming out of the exhaust and I was wondering if it was something I had to worry about. It was pretty cold outside so I thought it was just condensation. The water was coming out of the exhaust and from the muffler under the truck too. Any comments would help. Thanks

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does the water a little smell sweet (antifreeze) or does it just smell like dirty water? Mufflers can get condensation in them, especally when cold outside, from driving (hot exhaust) and then letting it sit.

tybardy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i personally wouldnt worry about it man, like dude said, give it a sniff... if your truck runs DexCool... rub it in your fingers, if its pretty greasy, then maybe you have a problem, but more then likely its condensation

bwilly20

Full Access Member
Reaction score
x3 or 4 on the condensation, unless it's running like a faucet, you shouldnt have too much to worry about! :thumbsup:

ghostface

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had some water coming out of the exhaust and I was wondering if it was something I had to worry about. It was pretty cold outside so I thought it was just condensation. The water was coming out of the exhaust and from the muffler under the truck too. Any comments would help. Thanks

most likely condensation like everyone else said. as far as coming out by the muffler, thats probaly coming from the rear air conditioner. whenever i run my rear air theres always water that drips after around the muffler

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water from the exhaust is normal! It's called a perfectly running engine. The water is the byproduct of normal combustion...:D

DaKing602

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies guys. I thought it was nothing to worry about. I had noticed water from the exhaust before but this time it was a little more. In the other hand I had just finished a 180 mile trip. I knew I could count on my fellow Forum members to calm my nerves. Thanks again!!

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Heck man, last weekend I changed out my fuel filter and when I went to start my truck to make sure it wasn't leeking, the angle I was looking under my truck it looked like fuel was gushing out, looked under my truck and notice that water was squirting out of the back of my muffler, couldn't believe how much water was coming out.

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Water from the exhaust is normal! It's called a perfectly running engine. The water is the byproduct of normal combustion...:D

Yep, what he said. Perfectly normal byproduct of the chemical reaction that takes place during combustion. All cars produce water to some extent, but some vehicles produce more than others. Depends on each individual vehicle and it's engine.

This is a prime example of why stainless steel is a GOOD thing, and why aluminized steel SUCKS ASS. Aluminized tubing rots from the inside out, even in dry/saltless climates. But that's for another discussion. ;)

Yuke2K

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh, if we only had an engineer on this forum...he could explain the process to us in detail, then design an engine 10 times better that doesn't produce water, and ulitmately rot the exhaust.

:smilielol:

(Ty, when should I hit the "off topic" button? Now? Or should I wait? :lol:)