what do you guys think of this engine combo

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i have been trying to figure out what i want to do when my tahoe's motor finally goes,this is what i'm thinking please give me your suggestions.thinking of rebuilding the shortblock into a 383 or 388,eq cylinder heads,a step or two above stock cam and seeing if maybe i could get the stock intake eztrude honed,headers and true dual exhaust,after assembled would get a black bear tune for maximum performance.also trying to find someone around here who could rebuild and upgrade the tranny to make it stronger.

NYrr496

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I started collecting parts when my truck turned 100,000 miles. It now has 225,000 still on the original engine.
A 383 is a worthwhile investment, as are the EQ heads. I have both and a set of Edelbrock shorty headers. I'm going to leave my intake alone, but maybe get that spacer that raises the plenum top to give it a little more available CFM. I haven't scoped out cams lately, but looks like we're thinking along the same lines.
You can upgrade your 4L60E to a 4L65E and it should handle the power with no problem. It would probably be a good idea to upgrade the carrier in your rearend also so it doesn't break and take the trans tailshaft with it.

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah i knew i'd have to upgrade the rear end,i'll have to look into the 4l65e swap
my hoe has 216000 miles on it.it runs like a champ just looking into the future.i know it won't last forever

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you have any links on the 4l65e swap?i understand it is a upgraded 4l60e transmission,is it basically a plug and play or do you have to swap harnesses,computers,etc?

mross

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for the link poohbear,i guess i'll get a 4l65e and have it rebuilt at same time as my motor