What oil do you use

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Be warned you once you go synthetic you can never go back to regular oil that's why i haven't went cuz i can't always afford that high cost oil :D

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have gone from full syn to conventional before......

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Partially because I was broke for a while..... :) Never had any issues. First oil change I would do with conventional oil the first day you have it. After 500 miles I would repeat process again, after 1000 I would go with a high mileage oil and then a more regular oil change therafter with the high mileage. The HM stuff has the extra addatives that help an older engine stay cleaner, lube well, and condition the seals..... I definitively see a diff when I run conventional vs HM on my 95....

Jounier11

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Its said that if you do that that in the near future you will HAVE to replace a bunch of internal parts and that it WOULD cause wayy more wear because your engine got used to synthetic then all of a sudden went back to conventional oil.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
High mileage engines might take a liking to it, I dont see the low mileage ones giving a crud....

justimagination

Full Access Member
Reaction score
:welcome: Aboard the forum. I would try and contact previous owner and find out what type they used . I use Penzzoil 5w30.......been around a long time with good results. I just don't believe all the HIPE about different oil. JMHO. Again thank's for joining and good luck. Don't forget the AC Delco filter, there is a difference.
david g. :peace:

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I used Penz 5w30 for many years, now I just use what I can afford at the time or what is on sale good....

Bigbill

Reaction score
Any quality oil is fine and you can switch from synthetic to conventional with no problems. That is false look up the Valveoiline oil on YouTube they tell why that's false. But yes always use the ac Delco filter there is a check valve that the cheap filters do to have

ma87k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
synthetic is the way to go. Doesn't really matter which brand. I'v used them all and found no difference other then the cheaper stuff tends to break down sooner. A whole lot of relabeling going on. There is a very big difference between regular oil and synthetic oil. The internal engine stays much cleaner. I didn't realize how much til I took the heads off of my friends tahoe that used nothing but regular oil. I had to scrap sludge off everything that came it contact with the oil. It was caked on the valves as well. He was telling is fuel mileage sucks. So I showed him why. It looked like he hasn't changed his oil in years. But he was believing the hype about switching to synthetic so he stayed with regular oil. When synthetic first came out the formula wasn't totally correct but it has been for years since. It would swell the seals and when switched back to regular oil the seals would un-swell and tend to leak. Doesn't happen now. Recycled oil will have both syn and reg oil. Like the "green" oil that is sold in stores.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had some engines apart with regular dino and they were pretty clean, just cant put 10k on between oil changes with the stuff....