White smoke on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97srad750

Reaction score
I have a 95 Yukon now. It puffs out a cloud of white smoke when you start it up, that seems to be the only time it smokes. One of my buddies said it may be the valve seals or seats. Does anyone know how expensive something like that runs? Would me using thicker oil help at all? The motor doesn't have that much mileage on it, I wanna say 60-70k. I just bought it from an older fella that didn't drive it often after he retired.

Last edited:

97srad750

Reaction score
My old tahoe would smoke when I'd take off at a light and whatnot.

dew itt

Reaction score
ita probably youre valve stem seals, or worn guides. probably around 600 to fix them, i wouldnt worry about it too much

ma87k5

Full Access Member
Reaction score
White smoke is water, blue smoke is oil, and black smoke is well rich fuel. Valve seals will be blue smoke at start-up. White smoke could be head gasket, cracked intake in the runner between the fluid and intake runner. or it could be the water that forms in the exhaust system after you shut it off. Is it cold out? I think below 70 you will still see white smoke to some degree.

oregonstormwatcher

Reaction score
Have someone smell the exhaust at startup, antifreeze has a sweet distinct smell. If it's just water, like we get all the time here on Oregon coast, it won't smell the same.

makmule

Reaction score
Its been a long time since ive been on this forum and just read your post. I dont know if you got the problem taken care of yet but I have a 97 tahoe with the same amount of miles on it and had the same problem. I was told that the head gaskets are very strong on this truck and to have my intake gasket checked. That was the problem for me.