why dont my back doors stay open???

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Sidescrollin

Reaction score
I have a 4door tahoe with rear doors not a tailgate. The damn things wont stay open. Theres some kind of rod or spring that looks like it is supposed to hold the door open but they arent attahed to anything and when the door is open all the way they pop outta the door.
Please help!!! its so annoying loading and unloading things from the back and the doors closing on me! Thanks

98hoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
See if Part #16 is broke. Mine is. But they are made to come uinhooked to open the doors fully and they just snap back in. You have to open the door to a certian point and use your hand to hold the latch (#16) and snap it back in.

Sidescrollin

Reaction score
yaya thats the part im talking about, but how do i know if its broken? it hooks at the end and pops over a piece to attach and comes off like you said but it doesnt look broken on anything....maybe the spring is broken. Must be because it doesnt act like it has a spring it just flops around.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have had to replace mine because it appeared to lose the temper on the hook.

If the hook is not broken off the end I suppose you might be able to take it off and pound on it to tighten it up. IMHO I would get new ones.

romiin

Reaction score
thats weired, mine are so tight they hardly open, I oiled the hinges and their still hard to open, I just thought they must be designed that way so they don't swing shut on a you

NoEcm

Reaction score
If the hook is not broken off the end I suppose you might be able to take it off and pound on it to tighten it up. IMHO I would get new ones.

I found out the hard way that the "hook" is tempered. I tried to squeeze one of mine in a vise to tighten it a little. It cracked and I ended up getting one out of a wrecking yard.

I suppose you could always try heating up the hook with a propane torch and then try to tighten it.

Like loulblades suggests, the best bet would to buy new ones.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats weired, mine are so tight they hardly open, I oiled the hinges and their still hard to open, I just thought they must be designed that way so they don't swing shut on a you

If the doors are hard to open that is a different issue (unless you are talking about the last few inches because that is when the retaining device comes into play). I replaced the hinge pins and the retaining hooks (or whatever they're called), shortly after acquiring my Tahoe and all works great now. The door operates smoothly and even stays open when the multicarrier with the spare tire is pushing against it.

IMG_0752.JPG

bsamoul

Full Access Member
Reaction score
my #16 is broken too! how do i get a replacement, and how do I replace it? I'm tired of being smacked by my door haha

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Got mine at the dealer.

To replace #16

Remove the "C" retaining clip off the bottom of the pin.
Pull the pin to remove #16
Install new #16 with pin
Reinstall "C" clip

A few minute job.
I suggest applying grease to various surface allong the way.

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah mine does the same thing pain in the ass when on a incline

putting things in &out hitting my head sometimes when they swing in
but now the left barn is harder to open but it stays open now.