XM Antenna placement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

jj99yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Im about to put my radio in my 99 Yukon from my old car and i was wondering if yall have any ideas about where to put my xm antenna? in my other car its zip tied to the dash. i want to put it on the roof but i dont want any wires showing. how would i go about hiding the wire with out drilling a hole in the roof? thanks in advance.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could mount it in the engine compartment and run the wires through the fire wall, but you may not get a signal.

otherwise, i have seen them mounted on top of the whindshiled right in the middle of the truck. but im sure that was profesionnally done.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score
If you have enough wire on the antenna I would go right to the back or the truck. I mounted mine right next to the third brake light on the roof. You already have a hole in there big enough to take the cable through so you wont have to drill, its just 2 screws to remove the brake light. Then you continue to run the wire under the headliner (this takes a little time, just keep pulling down a little on the headliner and slipping the wire into it) until you get to the rear seat pillar (plastic pillar next to rear seat window) and you can slip the wire into there and run it down to the floor, and the rest of the way you can run it under the carpet up into your dash area and then decide how you want to connect it. It sounds like alot of work but it's really not, you will never see a wire and you will get the best reception possible. I would post pics but dont have my camera right now.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
you could also just get a personal xm unit and get the car dock for it, has the antenna built in, and when you leave the truck, you can take your xm with you.

like the INNO, with a gig of memory and attatches to any fm radio. works great i have heard. or you could get a new radio with a tuner built in for about the same price.

jj99yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thanks for all te help guys. i already have all the stuff and the subscription, i just havent had the time to put it all in yet. but i think ill make time tomorrow. i also had it in my old blazer and i ran it up the weather striping to just aboe the front windshield and it was ok but the wire was showing. the third break light idea is good ill probably try that. i was think about maybe a stock one from the newer trucks just because they already have the weather striping, i think, just inase i want to do the drilling thing. i just dont want it to leak. but again, thanks for all the help. and if anyone has any pics let me see them, please.

jj99yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
btw thanks for moving this thread. i forgot there was a sat. radio forum. sorry bout that.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines

jj99yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
thats a good idea but seeing that i have all the stuff already, all the money i have to spend is what ever the mounting bracket, wiring harness and the GM antenna adapter costs me.

i would like to have one of those Innos just to have it though. like for when im cuttin the grass and other stuff like that. so its and recordable xm radio and mp3 player all in one. thats neat.

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
thats a good idea but seeing that i have all the stuff already, all the money i have to spend is what ever the mounting bracket, wiring harness and the GM antenna adapter costs me.

i would like to have one of those Innos just to have it though. like for when im cuttin the grass and other stuff like that. so its and recordable xm radio and mp3 player all in one. thats neat.

Could you post pictures of it after you are done?, it would be cool to see what you came up with.

jj99yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
yeah ill take some pics. i already put it all in today but my xm isnt workin so ill take it all apart and as i put it back together ill take pics. im gonna put the antenna at the back of the truck so that should be an adventure. ill have pics up tomorrow. thanks for the support yall.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Just chiming in here. When I do sat installs on SUVs, I usually remove the 3rd brake light, run the cable through the grommet, through the headliner all the way to the front, then down the a-pillar trim to the sat unit. I ususally mount the ant with as little wire as possible showing before it enters the weatherstripping for the light housing.

Rollin Thunder

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Just chiming in here. When I do sat installs on SUVs, I usually remove the 3rd brake light, run the cable through the grommet, through the headliner all the way to the front, then down the a-pillar trim to the sat unit. I ususally mount the ant with as little wire as possible showing before it enters the weatherstripping for the light housing.

does that seal tight, i would like to run the wire to run my CB radio antenna perminatly. but i CANT have leaks as that would give me a heart attack.:D

jj99yukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score

thanks for the post man. thats what i was gonna do. well am gonna do.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
does that seal tight, i would like to run the wire to run my CB radio antenna perminatly. but i CANT have leaks as that would give me a heart attack.:D
I wouldn't run a cb ant through there; cable diameter is too big. It would never seal back properly and the light won't bo back in flush unless you used a round file to make a small notch and use a small dab of clear silicone to seal it back up. The satellite radio antenna cables are very thin and have no problem.

chevyrider

Full Access Member
Reaction score

Your CB antenna cable is much thicker, so it wont allow it to sit flush and be water proof, however you can probably make a notch into it to have it sit in there and stay flush with the sufrace. Worst comes to worst a little silicon caulk will fix the leaking.