Yukon Fuel pressure &starting problem

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ceb1557

Reaction score
I am haveing a problem starting my 2004 Yukon XL 4wd 118K miles. I need to crank it at least twice before it will start. Once it starts it runs fine. This has been going on for about a year now but it is getting worse. The first thing I tried was new plugs and wires. Helped some but still had starting issues. I also recently got a check engine code for left bank to lean. I cleared the code and it has not returned. After doing some research I thought I may have a bad FPR. After some more checking I found that on my Yukon the FPR is part of the fuel pump/sending unit becasue it is not a flex fuel vehicle. I also determind that there is no external fule filter on this vehicle. Last night I checked the fuel pressure with a test gauge and I found that when I turn the key on without starting I get zero fuel pressure. If I turn the key off and back on again it will show a litle pressure but then drops back to zero when the pump stops. I can hear the pump run for about two seconds like it's suppose to do. IF=f I do start it I get 45psi with the engine running. When I turn it off the pressure drops right back to zero. After this testing I figure it's a bad fule pump/sending unit. I quess what I'm looking for is some agrrement on this before I pull the tank and replace the pump. Thanks for any input.

Bence

Reaction score
2003 Tahoe

My 2003 Tahoe is doing the exact same thing. However a little over a year ago the fuel pump was replaced. I am interested to hear what others have to say about this issue and if I need to replace the pump again.

ceb1557

Reaction score
I havn't recieved any input on this so I m going to change out the pump assembly this weekend. If your Tahoe is a flex fuel engine you may have a bad fuel pressure regulator. On the flex engines the FPR is on the fuel rail at the engine. Mine is not a flex engine so it's part of the pump asembly.

ceb1557

Reaction score
I changed the pump this weekend and it starts right up now. Found that there was a hole worn in the plastic line that goes from the pump to the port on top of the assembly. I learned a big lesson though. I bought a pump on line that did not fit when I tried to install it in the tank. It was to tall t fit down in the fuel tank. I ended up going to the local parts store and purchased the same part number that was shown online. The parts store pump went right in with no problems. Talked to the online company today and they are going to refund my money and the return shipping cost.