Z71 Front License Plate Holder - Removal?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

rod456

Reaction score
Hello, just found your forum and I just purchased a new Z71 Black w/Blk&Titanium interior, LT3, liftgate, etc.

In Oklahoma we are not required to have a front license plate. I don't know if the General installed the plate holder at the factory or if the dealer did when they were prepping the vehicle.

But, my questions is. Can this awful looking license plate holder be removed and if so are there plugs to fill up the two holes in the bumper that will remain?

Thanks, and I see lots of good info here.

Rod

CutchZ71

Reaction score
Glad to see another Black Z, welcome aboard. I live in Ohio which requires a front plate but my Z was delivered from Pa which doesn't so I don't have anything but an idention. My dealer had a bracket delivered but I haven't picked it up yet. Post some pics, sounds like we have identical trucks.:thumbsup:

rod456

Reaction score
Thanks. Sounds like they did punch holes in the bumper if yours only has indentions. Now that is really going to peave me off. The only reason they put it on is so they could but their advertisement plate on. Ugh......

Thanks

Rod

CutchZ71

Reaction score
I just checked mine again. There are two approximately half inch slots, one on each side which is how I assume they attach the bracket. Haven't seen a Z with a factory bracket and plate yet.....prob pick mine up this weekend.

rod456

Reaction score
The slots are how the bottom of the bracket is attached. There are two screws with a non standard head (no torx, not phillips, special head) holding the top of the bracket to the bumper. So, they had to of punched holes in the plastic bumper to install these. It makes me mad that they would even put it on since we don't even need a plate in OK.

Rod

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Is it too late to get them to fill the holes that they made (that you didn't ask for or want) and repaint?

rod456

Reaction score
Is it too late to get them to fill the holes that they made (that you didn't ask for or want) and repaint?

It's never too late to refill and paint. But, I hate non factory paint on a new vehicle and patching holes in flexible plastic is difficult to say the least.

I drilled out the rivets on the bracket Saturday and found not only two holes, but four holes. Guess the low paid grease monkey can't even drill two holes level.

I was in MO this weekend visiting Dad and we went and visited a dealer there, they assured me that the plates do not come installed, it is a dealer install. So, I called my dealer again and they said it came from the factory like that and I told them no it did not. I am going to go see them tomorrow, I expect at least a new bumper cover, which doesn't look to difficult to replace, just hope it comes pre painted.

If they know what is best for them in the long run they will cooperate, otherwise they will lose my future business, bad survey response, and loss of any recommendations for any customers from me.

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's what I meant. Have the dealer fix it. A new cover is even better. It probably won't be factory painted tho. :(

I know that they don't come mounted.

rod456

Reaction score
My main worry is the non factory paint will chip easier, not too worried about the paint not matching since this panel is silver non main color matching anyway, so what I have been thinking is just having a new cover painted and mounted and then install some 3M clear paint protective over it, I was going to to that to the hood anyway. The sure look better without that ugly mount installed.......

Thanks, Rod

Timgco

Reaction score
Sorry to hear about the holes in the front bumper.

On anotehr note, you just got yourself one sweet ride!!!!!!!

I am positive the bumper covers will not come painted. so you will have to deal with non-factory paint. If the dealer is good though, they should be able to match the paint up very well.

I don;t have a Z71 Tahoe, but I do have a Z71 Avalanche. I checked, and my dealer did install my front plate only (only two holes). I am taking that fron holder off as well. I will be putting a L plate on there since we do have to have one in CO. Couldn;t you get a plate made to go over that. Something that knowone else has maybe?

rod456

Reaction score
Just had a face to face conversation with the sales manager. They are going to swap my cover for one on the lot is straight off the trailer without holes. I guess they know the value of keeping a future customer happy. Otherwise, I would be taking my next purchase somewhere else.

Timgco, I used to live in Denver. When I bought my Z06 there a few years back, ran it without the front plate. Said if I was ever stopped I would just pay the fine and go on.

Thanks

Rod

rod456

Reaction score
Update, dealer replaced the complete front Fascia from another Z71 fresh off the trailer, looks just like it should now!!! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Now, just need to get some 3M clear paint protectant installed behind the front wheels before it gets too many rock chips, those Bridgestone A/T ires like to eat rocks and then throw um on the rocker panels at speed. IMHO, GM should do this from the factory, they should know with wheels sticking out like they do will chip the paint. Young engineers anyway......

Thanks all,

Rod

73shark

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Now, just need to get some 3M clear paint protectant installed behind the front wheels before it gets too many rock chips, those Bridgestone A/T ires like to eat rocks and then throw um on the rocker panels at speed.
Thanks all,

Rod

GM makes very good looking mud flaps that do a good job of keeping the trash off the sides, front and rear. Not sure if available for Z71 front yet as it has step tubes instead of running boards.