Getting subs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
P3's aren't that great though. More fashion than function IMO. I heard em wasn't impressed.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was it with the P3 subs that didn't make it sound good? They seem to get alot of compliments by the people who buy them. They take 500w rms, and I can't really find alot of subs that take that number. Should I avoid them even though I can get just two for $190? I do understand that a single 15" can sound better but they all cost alot of money and I'm a little strapped for cash lol. I looked on ebay for single W6s and W7s and they are all way too costly for me. And they run a 3ohm impendance which sounds like a proprietary deal where if you get one of their subs, then you're screwed and have to get one of their amps to also to get a 3ohm load.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Get a Cerwin Vega V-Max 15.2 that will tickle your fancy.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
What was it with the P3 subs that didn't make it sound good? They seem to get alot of compliments by the people who buy them. They take 500w rms, and I can't really find alot of subs that take that number. Should I avoid them even though I can get just two for $190? I do understand that a single 15" can sound better but they all cost alot of money and I'm a little strapped for cash lol. I looked on ebay for single W6s and W7s and they are all way too costly for me. And they run a 3ohm impendance which sounds like a proprietary deal where if you get one of their subs, then you're screwed and have to get one of their amps to also to get a 3ohm load.

I've never met anyone that says they're subs are crap...someone with lighting audio would say their subs are sick and will crush anything in their way haha, so you need to talk to someone that REALLY knows what they're talking about, hit up JK he seems to know a lot about a variety of subs I will only run JL in my truck, and once again I'm not goin to say that they suck...haha but really though they are sick haha

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm not gonna argue over a 600 watt system. Why underpower 2 subs when you can put 1 to its potential. Why not just PM JK and we don't have to worry about it. Its too bad he has to solve this kindergarten crap.

The answer is always JL Audio. He wanted louder with good sound my recommendation fit the budget. If you had the money and power I'd have a slew of subs for you to look at.

Audiopulse
Oz
Fi
RE
Image Dynamics
Dayton Audio
AudioQue
Eclipse

Blah Blah its JK's turn. I never said the P3's were crap just not impressive.

Last edited:

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Buy some re sx 12's off www.woofersetc.com, I'm gonna run 1 ported 12" sx with 1200rms and it should pound. You don't have to spend more money on rockford/jl/kicker to get good sound, better can be had for much less. My rule of thumb is at leasr 25% more power than the speakers can handle with the gain turned down sounds way better than a clipping amp with some power hungry drivers.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Cerwin Vega doesn't look bad. Handles 600w RMS for $160. Only bad thing is I ordered that RF p550.2 today so I'd be underpowering that sub.

I ordered something from Audiopulse a year ago, back when they were known as TC Sounds. It was a TC-2000 15" DVC 4ohm. But before I could even put it in I had to send it back because I thought I was going to get rid of the Yukon. Lost $100 over that one. But I can't go that route again because I don't have the money for a 1kw amp.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That Cerwin Vega doesn't look bad. Handles 600w RMS for $160. Only bad thing is I ordered that RF p550.2 today so I'd be underpowering that sub.

I ordered something from Audiopulse a year ago, back when they were known as TC Sounds. It was a TC-2000 15" DVC 4ohm. But before I could even put it in I had to send it back because I thought I was going to get rid of the Yukon. Lost $100 over that one. But I can't go that route again because I don't have the money for a 1kw amp.

If you go that route its gonna last like an investment. Just give it a clean signal and your good. I had a pair of them they sound great. I had a couple of the HED's also. Two different series of em. Good Budget subs IMO.

I bought a BTL 18 and loved it so I'm puttin 2 of em in now...lol

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is the Cerwin Vega the way to go? And I just thought of something. Is pushing two subs with the p550.2 amp going to give just 275 each? If that's the case then I was an idiot thinking I could get those two P3s running. Getting the Cerwin 15" will save me some cash anyway. I'll just make sure that I get a nice custom box made for a 15" that I could use for future applications if I ever want something louder.

Soooo Rockford Fosgate p550.2(already ordered) + Cerwin Vega 15" + Ported Custom Box = happiness?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
So is the Cerwin Vega the way to go? And I just thought of something. Is pushing two subs with the p550.2 amp going to give just 275 each? If that's the case then I was an idiot thinking I could get those two P3s running. Getting the Cerwin 15" will save me some cash anyway. I'll just make sure that I get a nice custom box made for a 15" that I could use for future applications if I ever want something louder.

Soooo Rockford Fosgate p550.2(already ordered) + Cerwin Vega 15" + Ported Custom Box = happiness?

If your pinching pennies thats what I would do. 3.5 cubes at 35 hz worked well for me. Sub up port back.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok last question. Would a 3.5 cube box like you describe be suitable for applications that would take twice as much power? For example me getting rid of the RF amp and Cerwin a year from now and stepping up to a sub/amp running 1000 watts. Because having the ability to just swap sub/amp and keep the box would be less of a hassle. Oh and how big is 3.5 cube for reference? It wont take up the entire cargo area will it? :p Thanks a bunch for the help.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok last question. Would a 3.5 cube box like you describe be suitable for applications that would take twice as much power? For example me getting rid of the RF amp and Cerwin a year from now and stepping up to a sub/amp running 1000 watts. Because having the ability to just swap sub/amp and keep the box would be less of a hassle. Oh and how big is 3.5 cube for reference? It wont take up the entire cargo area will it? :p Thanks a bunch for the help.

http://www.rockfordfosgate.com/rftech/box_wizard.asp

You gotta learn...lol I used an aeroport they have less port noise and you could save a few bucks this route and not do much math. Use a Precision Port from Partsexpress.com

The displacement of this port is minimal so here is one more hint.
Get the 4" Precision Port. Do your measurements on the wizard I linked up to get the 3.5 cubes and fit(which it will no prob) Just put in the numbers you have to work with.

Cut the port to 5" following the directions that come with it. Keep the port 5" from each wall (just center so the port is 5" from the end of your box)

If you can build a birdhouse you can make this box. Just make sure the depth of the box is deeper than your sub of course.

Trend Setta

Full Access Member
Reaction score
oh and Kicker L7's beat down the block for a decent price...thats what a lot of people run over here...once again..I don't know much about them but they're loud thats for sure

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Ok just need to clarify one last thing. If you run a 550w amp to two subs like the amp I have, then you'd only get 275w per sub correct?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Oh yeah I forgot. If you upgrade later the average 15 is optimal ina 3-4 cube box. If you get a BIG dog you will see yourself building a box between 5 and 7 cubes....joy.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Alright then I'll definatly be getting a single 15" setup. Looks like I'll be ordering the Cerwin Vega asap. I went to the audio shop today to talk to them about how much a box will run, but they were closed sadly. I forgot that half the places here are closed on sundays. I'll definatly tell them to build me a 3-4 cube box that would be suitable for a future killer 15" like an Audiopulse down the road. I don't trust my crafstmanship enough to undertake such a task lol. How much money do you think something like that kind of box should run me?

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You may see more than a hundred bucks if they build the box slot port and carpet it for you. If they are good it will be worth it though. Get pics and let us know how it sounds.