Getting subs

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah a year ago I told them I'd be needing a custom box for the TC-2000 back when I had it, they looked at TCsounds.com for the box recomendations and quoted me $170. So I'd be expecting a big number for this box because it'll probably be similar to what i was looking at a year ago.

Last edited:

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah a year ago I told them I'd be needing a custom box for the TC-2000 back when I had it, they looked at TCsounds.com for the box recomendations and quoted me $170. So I'd be expecting a big number for this box because it'll probably be similar to what i was looking at a year ago.

That seems reasonable if they take pride in their builds and don't hide poor fastening with carpet...lol

Hoebag03

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats a good 8 in i can stick in the stock location in the back. i bought a cheapo 10 for now but when i get serious i want a decent one in there when i build my box.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
whats a good 8 in i can stick in the stock location in the back. i bought a cheapo 10 for now but when i get serious i want a decent one in there when i build my box.

The cubes are perfect for a 10 in that spot.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I personally would vote for more smaller subs, than one larger 15"...

Yeah I was thinking I could do that until I remembered that I'd only get 275w to each sub because of the amp I ordered. Therefore, I'm probably going to get better SQ and excursion capabilities by running all 550 watts into the Cerwin Vega 15" with a big custom box.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing one 15" planned at the moment. I'd honestly feel better pushing 550+ watts into one good sub than splitting that power between two mediocre subs. I'm on a kinda tight budget right now so I can't afford anymore than a single 15" anyway. And I think one $160 sub has better survival chances than splitting my money and getting two $80 subs.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Most definatly. I think it's going to be a couple of weeks though because I'm leaving this Fri. for Houston TX and I'll be there for all of next week. My amp/sub aren't here yet so I'll never get that in before the end of this week.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I'm doing one 15" planned at the moment. I'd honestly feel better pushing 550+ watts into one good sub than splitting that power between two mediocre subs. I'm on a kinda tight budget right now so I can't afford anymore than a single 15" anyway. And I think one $160 sub has better survival chances than splitting my money and getting two $80 subs.

1 single sub always sounds better too, no two subwoofers are the same and you can tune the stereo easier with one driver. I always like having 1 sub that's louder than most people multi-sub stereos :D

zeokter

Reaction score
Trend knows whats up.. if your looking for a illi set up (quality wise) go for re or jl... and a hifonics amp... case closed!!!!!! and maybe upgrade to a optima yellow top for power.. go to ebay express for the purchase the ebay express retailers are hurting and selling for 5% over wholesale!

:mob: just what the doctor ordered!

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I just went to the audio shop and they convinced me to get away from the 15" setup. The guy told me a story about a kid with a '04 Hoe who came in and wanted them to get him setup on his single 12" W7. The salesman was totally against it, but the kid insisted. So the guys at the shop built the kid the box and set him all up, and the kid came in days later pissed off and said "its not loud enough". So if thats true, then I'm going with two 12"s instead of one 15".

The P550.2 will be good for powering two Diamond 12"s, and I can always upgrade to two Audiopulse Epic 12"s and a bigger amp down the road.

thekl0wn

Reaction score
OK, I'm being lazy, and don't want to read through the entire thread... What parts do you have already? What type of music do you listen to? What's your budget? What are your goals (loud versus quality)? Are you building your enclosure, or having it commissioned to be done?

thekl0wn

Reaction score
And as far as your audio shop story goes... Remember, you're dealing with a salesman. Their minds don't operate like normal humans... It's all, "dollars and cents in my pocket," to them. As far as getting the thing loud, it's gonna be in the enclosure. As far as going loud, and staying mainstream Kicker and Alpine are the two brands that come to mind. Either an L7 or a Type-R are rugged and can get some decent numbers in the correct enclosure, though they don't offer much in the quality department.

A 15" sub I've been checking into is the Mach5 MAW-15. Fits your bill quite nicely as far as price, power, and mix of SPL & SQ. Another option I would place in the exact same category is the Dayton Reference HO 15". Neither of these subs are going to win you competitions, but if you build the correct box, the output is going to be incredible. A bit more of an SPL sub to consider would be the AscendantAudio Arsenal lineup or the mid-line RE's.

And IMO, I would steer clear of the HiFonics stuff, and stick to solid amps from brands like: USAmps, Alpine, Kicker, Sundown, ZED, TRU, (upper model) Phoenix Golds, (upper model) Orions, Rockford Fosgate, etc. And you're MUCH better off upgrading the wiring rather than placing a band-aid with a capacitor.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
OK. I was wondering where you went anyway. Man I was hoping you'd get to hear that sub too. Oh well.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yeah I never really trusted salesmen either. FYI I've already got the RF P550.2 amp, so I'm stuck with it. Let me illustrate the saleman's points. He said something along the lines of this:

1. A single 15" will not accomidate me because of the size of my truck.
2. Because I have a huge SUV, there is alot of airspace to fill, so alot of cone space would be needed. He said one 15" won't cut it.
3. Because of the lack of cone space, a single 15" would give me a poor frequency range in comparison to two 12"s.
4. Against his will, he installed a single W7 with a ton of power into a Tahoe much like mine for a kid. The kid walked in one day pissed off because "it wasn't loud enough".

This audio shop IS a Cerwin Vega dealer, and they told me they could sell me a 15" Vmax for just as cheap as I found on the net. But they say its a terrible idea for the reasons stated above.

WrenchGuy

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Sub up port back would of been the whip. I've had a range subs in my ride for fun. I had an RE8 I snuck in there and everyone thought I was bumpin 2 10's or a 12 no guess that it was an 8.

If they would of built that box. A lot has to do with the enclosure.

Animosity

Reaction score
Ok, take this for what it is, coming from someone who has dropped the cheese on many different variations.

My current setup will take your breathe away and all for less than 900.00

My first setup when I bought my Hoe was 2 12" Kicker CVR Comps powered by a 500 punch mono block. It hit but it didn't give me the ump I wanted. I have IMHO yet to see a Hoe with 2 12" setup that does it for me. I have been in a ton that "Hit" but not the hit most are looking for.

My second setup was 2 12" Kicker VX's running on a Hifonics 1600 watt mono block. Still same scenario as above.

So after all that I tried a single 15" L5 running from a kenwood 1800 mono block...sounded like total ****
Took it back 15" L7 same deal, sounded like ass by it's self.

So, my end solution was as follows.

2 Kicker 12" comp VX running off a mono kenwood 9104D 2ohms
1 15" Kicker L5 running of a kenwood 9104D 2ohms
I paid as follows
200.00 each for the amps new form the local flea market
200.00 for the L5 new from same Flea
250.00 for the VX's in box from same flea

I removed the speakers from the prefab, made my own enclosure consiting of the 15" in the center and the 2 VX's on each side. I have no cap, optima battery, stock HU with a LOC running from the rear of the HU. This system is the loudest I have ever owned. Even so, when I had them all in the prefab boxes it hit just as hard. My ears and chest can't tell the diff goign to a custom enclosure other than it looks nice.

The single 15 sounded like crap, so did the 2 12's in the box. But with all 3 going....booyah my neighbors so hate me. If they thought the 3 W7's in the Benz was bad, they are even more pissed now.

If I was you I would try to find someone local with a Hoe and a system and see what they run and how it sounds first befor you make the money mistakes I and possibly others did.

Whatever u go with good luck to you.