01 transfer case noise

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Blackout

Reaction score
I was driving the tahoe to work a couple weeks ago and hit some snow so I engaged 4hi and heard what sounded like the cv shaft flopping around hitting stuff. I put it back in 2wd and it went away. When I got home, I checked it out and when it's in 4hi and you hit the gas, the noise sounds like it's coming from the transfer case. I check the driveline and it's fine. I guess I'll be pulling the transfer case and splitting it apart to fix it. Anyone else have this issue?

Blackout

Reaction score
I just looked again and there is a lot of play in the front shaft but not at the ujoints. It feel and looks like it's in the rubber boot between the ujoint and the transfer case. What is in that boot? Is it just the output shaft?

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
most likely the chain in the transfer case has play in it and it is skipping

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No it sounds like the front cv is shot, remove the shaft and have a driveline shop replace anything necessary. Did you replace the front shaft when you did the lift? I replace the shaft on those trucks with a dual cardon cv front shaft 90% of the time otherwise they vibrate on the highway.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The splines would self destruct long before you could check it. I'd bet the CV is bad, take it to a driveshaft shop and have it rebuilt or buy a pro comp 51246 cv front shaft.

boostaholic

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes the continuous velocity joint in the front driveshaft going from the tcase to the front differential
driveshaft.jpg