02 Tahoe 4wd issue

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Stan

Reaction score
I have a 2002 Chevy Tahoe with a 4wd issue. I push the button for 4 Hi and the light comes on. The actuator moves in and out like its supposed to as well. I had it on a lift, put it in 4 HI, put it in drive and the front wheels turn. The problem is that I can grab the front wheels and stop them from rotating. Its like there is very little power turning the front drive shaft. What causes this and what should I look into?

NytmareK5

Reaction score
If you're only grabbing one tire at a time you're working the open differential in the truck. If you try to stop both. (Which would be dangerous as hell on a lift). It shouldn't allow you to stop it.

Stan

Reaction score
When you grab the wheel the drive shaft does not move either. It doesn't just stop the wheel you are working on, it stops the front drive shaft all together. I tried spinning the tires on the ice this spring and the back end would get squirrely, but the front tires wouldn't spin. The only noise I hear sounds like a U Joint clunk when I go from Drive to Reverse or from Park into gear.The clunk comes from the front drive shaft. I can get under it and there is some slop in the drive shaft. I can turn it that little bit and get it to clunk. Its never made any other noise since I've owned it and the 4wd worked when I got it.

NytmareK5

Reaction score
Ahh, my guess would be the transfer case shift motor. Unless you have a service 4wd light on. Either that or the case is fried. I'd change the fluid it in and check for metal before I wasted any money on new parts. Those cases are easy to find used.

Stan

Reaction score
When I drain the transfer case does it need to be filled with the Auto Trak II or something else? I don't even know what's in it now.

NytmareK5

Reaction score
I'm not 100% sure I haven't changed it yet in my tahoe and it's a different fluid from the AWD case in my Sierra Denali. It should be in the manual if you've still got it or I'm sure most parts stores would be able to look it up.