05 Z71 Tahoe - Transmissoin has no 3rd, 4th or OD

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Zseventy1

Reaction score
05 Z71 Tahoe - Transmission has no 3rd, 4th or OD

2005 Z71 tahoe, 59,000 miles. Driven easy, my wife halls our two kids around in it and today she was on her way home from picking up the kids and coming up a hill the motor reved up. When it dropped down to second it started moving. I drove it when I got home and it has no 3rd gear, Drive, or over drive. It does have 1st and second and reverse. There was no warning or any kind of noises or trouble before today. We got it in 2007 with 30,000 miles on it. No extended warranty on drive train. There are no leaks either.

I'm looking for any ideas if this could be electronic and not mechanical before I take it it. We have a place that dose transmission for about $900 or less in the area but I was going to go to a dealer first to have them run a diagnostic. Then see what option they have. Some people have told me they might work something out with a dealer warranty or something.

If there are post on this board about this please let me know I didn't find any. I was under the impression that these transmission were very good with little problems until higher miles.

Last edited:

nc6600

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2005 Z71 tahoe, 59,000 miles. Driven easy, my wife halls our two kids around in it and today she was on her way home from picking up the kids and coming up a hill the motor reved up. When it dropped down to second it started moving. I drove it when I got home and it has no 3rd gear, Drive, or over drive. It does have 1st and second and reverse. There was no warning or any kind of noises or trouble before today. We got it in 2007 with 30,000 miles on it. No extended warranty on drive train. There are no leaks either.

I'm looking for any ideas if this could be electronic and not mechanical before I take it it. We have a place that dose transmission for about $900 or less in the area but I was going to go to a dealer first to have them run a diagnostic. Then see what option they have. Some people have told me they might work something out with a dealer warranty or something.

If there are post on this board about this please let me know I didn't find any. I was under the impression that these transmission were very good with little problems until higher miles.

Not sure but i do not think its the tranny.My 02' has 91k and she shifts like new.:confused:

bahollis

Full Access Member
Reaction score
When tranny on my old 94 Chevy crapped the bed I did not have FIRST gear. I would have to get it up to a certain speed before I could get 2nd to engage. (luckily for me it died on a downhill sloped area) The tranny shop mechanic said it was a fail-safe to keep from tearing up the entire transmission.

You might try taking it to an auto parts place and have them try to pull some codes.

BH

Zseventy1

Reaction score
Update

Well dealer said clutches probably burned out nothing showing on the diagnostic. $2800 for a refurbished certified tranny. 3 year 100,000 mile warranty.

Transmission place says $1425 for rebuild with 12mth/12,000 Mile Warranty.

New transmission from another garage installed $2,550 I forget the brand.

Used transmission $1,000 with 80,000 miles on it. 3 month warranty.

Zseventy1

Reaction score
How do you know is the question. When I cranked it this AM it did have 3rd when it first started. Then I parked with engine running for about 10min and when I drove again 3rd and up was gone again. The dealership didnt mention any electric problems. You would think that would show up on the computer if that was the case but no codes or anything.

The real kicker is this we have two small children this is our main vehicle. We owe about 19,000 on the Tahoe and have a another loan of about 15,000. All this and I was just laid off. I am working now but took a $5 per hour pay cut. But it is money. This is why I am looking for any other direction other than the $2800.

neloms

Reaction score
I have the same year, same model Tahoe. It was my transfer case, not the transmission. My total repair at the dealership was $2500, but I bought the extended warranty, so it was $0.