'07 Tahoe Review

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/jedlicka.aspx?year=2007&make=Chevrolet&model=Tahoe

2007 Chevy Tahoe

Bottom Line:
Redesigned full-size Chevy SUV is a big improvement over its predecessor.

Pros:
Roomy
Powerful
Comfortable
Cons:
High step-in
Scant cargo room with available third seat in place
Only a 4-speed automatic transmission

Expert Review
General Motors redesigned its new Chevrolet Tahoe sport-utility vehicle several years ago, when fuel prices were lower and sales of large SUVs were booming. So don't blame the Tahoe, or any of the revamped large GM sport utes, for seeming a bit out of place with today's higher fuel prices and the move to smaller, more economical SUVs and car-based crossover vehicles.

On the other hand, the early 2007 Tahoe is a big improvement over its predecessor, which was the top-selling full-size SUV in 2005. And the market for large, comfortable SUVs is hardly going away, considering the need by many folks for such vehicles, with their roomy interiors and impressive people/cargo hauling and towing abilities.

GM is hoping its new Tahoe and other redesigned large SUVs, which arrive later in 2006, will sell well; they're profitable and troubled GM needs all the financial help it can get. Initial consumer reaction to the Tahoe, at least, has been good.

Solidly Built
The new Tahoe looks better than its predecessor, inside and out. My test 2007 Tahoe seemed as if it's built byâ€â€dare we say?â€â€Toyota, with tight body fits and such. A stiffer structure made it feel more solid. And rough roads elicited no squeaks or rattles.

The Tahoe comes in LS, LT and LTZ trim levels, with the high-volume LT offered with LT-1, LT-2 and LT-3 equipment. Rear- or 4-wheel drive are available.

Tahoes are pretty well-equipped. List prices range from $33,115 to $37,665, although options can cause prices to quickly escalate.

New and revised features include an optional power fold-and-tumble second-row seat, rear seat entertainment system, XM satellite radio, ultrasonic rear parking assist and a remote starting system to warm up the Tahoe interior before winter driving.

Safety items include optional side-curtain airbags with rollover protection.

More Precise Feel
Nobody expects a full-size SUV to drive like a sports sedan, but the new Tahoe's driving feel is far more precise. The old sloppy steering is gone, although the new rack-and-pinion steering has a bit of an on-center soft spot. Handling and maneuverability are good, and redesigned anti-lock brakes and anti-skid/traction control are standard.

The ride is smooth, and GM's Autoride suspension, which automatically adjusts firmness based on road and driving conditions, is standard for the LTZ, but not for other Tahoes.

Wheel sizes range from 17 to 20 inches.

Home Run Interior
Chevy hit a grand slam with the interior. The old Tahoe's haphazard placement of marginal knobs and switches has given way to a dashboard with nicely placed controls, although some sound system controls are too small.

The new Tahoe has a more chiseled, aggressive appearance. Its body sits on a stiffer new frame and chassis. It's about 5 inches longer and nearly one-half inch higher, with wider tracks for a lower center of gravity and a more hunkered-down look

A third-row seat is standard in the LTZ, optional for the LS and LT. That seat allows enough head and leg room for two 6-footers, but it has flat cushions and thus is nowhere near as comfortable as the nice first-and second-row seats.

Above-average agility is needed to reach the third seat, although you can get second-row seats that power fold to provide easier access to the third seat.

Total seating capacity is nine, but five or six is a more realistic and far more comfortable limit.

Standing Tall
The Tahoe stands tall, so extra effort is needed to get in or out, and my test Tahoe's running boards were too narrow to provide much entry/exit assistance. (Power running boards will be offered later in the model year, and let's hope they're a bit wider.)

The view is commanding from inside, and a lower dashboard makes front-seat occupants feel as if they're sitting higher than they actually are.

There's little cargo space behind the third-row seat in its upright postion. That seat folds forward to allow more cargo room, and also is removable. However, yanking it out calls for extra muscle because it's quite heavy.

The rear hatch has separate-opening glass and is wide, but the cargo floor is rather high.

Strong Acceleration
The 5.3-liter V8 provides 320 horsepower and lots of torque for strong acceleration. (A lower-priced Tahoe with a 4.8-liter V8 will be offered later with only rear-wheel drive.)

The 5.3 V8 works with a responsive 4-speed automatic transmission, but the Tahoe lacks the more modern 6-speed unit promised for the 2007 Cadillac Escalade SUV.

Higher Fuel Economy
Chevy says estimated fuel economy is 16 mpg in the city and 22 on highways with rear-wheel drive and 15 and 21 with 4-wheel drive. But those optimistic EPA numbers should be taken with a grain of saltâ€â€my test Tahoe only got 13-14 mpg in town.

However, the EPA numbers aren't bad for a big, powerful SUV that weighs about 5,500 pounds. Fuel economy is slightly better than that delivered by the 2006 Tahoe, thanks partly to a more aerodynamic body and a gas-saving 4-cylinder cutoff feature when cruising.

In any case, nobody who buys a powerful full-size SUV expects more than mediocre fuel economy. As for the Tahoe, it provides lots of compensating benefits.

Jordan23

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Here's Ann Jobs review of it.
http://autos.msn.com/research/vip/job.aspx?year=2007&make=Chevrolet&model=Tahoe

Bottom Line:
The new-generation Chevrolet Tahoe promises to lead the full-size SUV class for years to come. New, trim styling, a quiet, exemplary interior, fuel-saving V8 and impressive ride and handling puts this large SUV head and shoulders above others.

Pros:
Trim new look
Best fuel economy rating in the class
Noteworthy ride and handling
Cons:
Curtain airbags optional on some models
Prices can get up over $50,000
Some tire squeal in aggressive driving

Expert Review
Calling all large families. And people who want a roomy SUV to carry lots of friends, neighbors, co-workers and kids. And anyone who tows horse trailers, campers, boats and the like.

Don't buy a new vehicle without driving the redesigned and re-engineered Chevrolet Tahoe for 2007.

Capable of carrying up to nine passengers and towing up to 7,700 pounds, the new Tahoe is so much a cut above its predecessors and many competitors, it's destined to top several "best full-size sport-utility vehicle" lists.

In showrooms as of January 2006 as an early 2007 model, the Tahoe now looks trimmer than ever and has a pleasing, quiet interior with a well-organized, upscale appearance as well as supportive seats that are comfortable even for ample-sized people.

For the first time in a Tahoe, there's a V8 that automatically shuts off four engine cylinders on occasion to save gasoline.

The ride is so well-managed and steering so comfortably accurate that many Tahoe drivers will feel as if they're driving something smaller and nimbler than a large SUV.

Also not to be missed: New, fuss-free, power, fold-and-tumble second-row seats that easily move out of the way so passengers have good access to third-row seats.

What's new
Most of the Tahoe is revised for 2007.

Besides new, attractive sheet metal and a well-proportioned, new body, there's a new, fully-boxed, truck frame underneath that's a sturdy, improved foundation for this large SUV. Passengers notice the firmer, more rigid underpinnings almost immediately as the vehicle travels with more refinement and more smoothly than ever before.

The windshield is more raked in this new Tahoe, while outside mirrors are larger than before. Both help provide good views out and around the vehicle. I especially liked the tall ride height that allowed me to see over and around other vehicles, even compact pickup trucks.

The attention to detail on interior quietness is noteworthy in this new Tahoe. Not only were tires selected with an ear toward a quiet ride, the ceiling and door seals are better fortified against noise. There's also an acoustically-tuned alternator and special noise-reducing engine cover under the hood.

Average full-size SUV pricing
Pricing remains in line with other full-size SUVs.

Starting manufacturer's suggested retail price for a base, two-wheel-drive, 2007 Tahoe LS is just over $33,000. A Tahoe with four-wheel drive starts at nearly $37,000.

Chevrolet officials said Tahoe competitors include the Ford Expedition and Toyota Sequoia, which have starting MSRPs of just under $33,000 as two-wheel-drive models.

But note that Tahoe prices can reach into the $50,000 range if equipped with four-wheel-drive, the LTZ package and special features are added. Indeed, in early sales of the new Tahoe, the average transaction price was reported at more than $42,000.

Good reputation
The best-selling full-size SUV in the country since 2001, the Tahoe is valued for how many people it can carry—up to nine—and its towing capacity, which tops out at 7,700 pounds.

The Tahoe already has a reputation as a top large SUV, having been named No. 2 in its segment in the annual Initial Quality Study of automotive researcher J.D. Power and Associates for three years, from 2003 to 2005. The longer-wheelbase version of Tahoe, the Chevrolet Suburban, has held the No. 1 spot. Power's IQS measures owner complaints about their vehicles in the early months of ownership.

In 2004, the Tahoe also topped the full-size SUV segment in Power's Dependability Study, which tallies owner complaints over the first three years of ownership.

Building an even better Tahoe
For the 2007 model year, the Tahoe retains what buyers like best and builds on it.

Tahoes keep their V8 power, which is needed for such a large, heavy vehicle that weighs more than 2.5 tons.

But engines now are more powerful. For example, the uplevel, 5.3-liter Vortec 5300 overhead valve LMG V8 in the test Tahoe 4WD LTZ puts out 320 horsepower and 340 lb-ft of torque at 4200 rpm.

This is up from 295 horses and 335 lb-ft of torque in the 2006 Tahoe with 5.3-liter V8. And it's more than the 273 horsepower and 314 lb-ft of torque in the 2006 Sequoia.

Horsepower also is more than the 300 of Ford's Expedition, though the Expedition has more torque—365.

The test Tahoe with this engine moved confidently with traffic and easily passed other vehicles. There was a bit of coasting, however, when I'd let up on the gas pedal.

The transmission—the four-speed automatic from the predecessor Tahoe—shifted smoothly, and there was a satisfying, deep-toned, V8 hum when I pressed the accelerator.

This is the first Tahoe engine with Active Fuel Management (AFM), a system that detects when all eight engine cylinders aren't needed to power the vehicle and, during such times, automatically turns off four of them to conserve fuel.

With AFM and the uplevel V8, the best government fuel economy rating is 16 miles a gallon in the city and 22 mpg on the highway for a two-wheel-drive model, which is better than last year's 15/20-mpg rating.

Indeed, it's better than that of any other full-size SUV.

The rating also is impressive because the new Tahoe weighs considerably more than the 2006 vehicle.

The base Tahoe engine, installed on all two-wheel-drive Tahoes, is a 290-horse 4.8-liter Vortec 4800 overhead valve V8 with 290 lb-ft of torque at 4000 rpm. It wasn't available right at the start of the 2007 Tahoe distribution to dealerships.

All Tahoes run on regular unleaded gasoline, though the 5.3-liter LMG engine also can run on E85 fuel that includes ethanol.

Underpinnings form a good vehicle base
The new, stiffer frame underneath the Tahoe provides a stable foundation for this large SUV, and the ride is smooth on many roads. Body motions are well-controlled, and the vehicle's wider track vis-a-vis its predecessors helps convey a more grounded feel.

A test, upper level LTZ, included the Autoride suspension system that uses high-tech sensors to constantly tune the ride for refinement and smoothness. It worked admirably, especially on a lengthy, off-road trail that has segments of washboard surfaces and potholes.

Passengers experience less head bobbing in the new Tahoe than they would in many other SUVs, even smaller ones, and while there's occasional bounciness over rough road and off-road trails, the Tahoe's road manners are exceptional for a vehicle its size.

Tires, which range up to 20 inches in diameter, did squeal during aggressive driving, however.

Longer than its predecessor, the 2007 Tahoe is just as wide as an Expedition and Sequoia.

But at 16.8 feet long, the Tahoe is nearly 3 inches shorter, overall, than an Expedition and 2 inches shorter than a Sequoia. Maybe this helps explain why I backed the Tahoe into my garage with surprising ease.

Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering for this big vehicle is confidence-inspiring. Going through curves, I set the steering wheel and found it didn't need correcting.

The Tahoe's 39-foot turning circle is noteworthy, too. Consider that the turning circle for a much smaller, 2007 Mitsubishis Eclipse convertible is 40 feet.

The Tahoe's brakes worked strongly, though not with the immediate, tenacious feel of a European vehicle like a Volvo or BMW.

Well-designed interior
Inside the Tahoe, the "towel bar" handle on the front-passenger dashboard is gone.

Throughout, there's a higher quality appearance to the plastics, and the new radio system has a modern, streamlined look.

Stability control and tire pressure monitor system are standard, but curtain airbags are optional on some Tahoe trim levels.

It's still a big step up to get inside, and loading items into the cargo area requires a significant lift. The cargo floor was at pelvis level for me, and I'm 5 feet 4.

Final notes
Company officials expect sales to remain mostly stable. During calendar 2005, more than 150,000 of the previous-generation Tahoes were sold in the United States.

Sibling vehicles to the Tahoe are the GMC Yukon, Cadillac Escalade and the longer-length Chevy Suburban. Of them all, the Tahoe has the lowest starting MSRP.

Gapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
^^^^^+1

I spent the better part of the weekend detailing and re-detailing. This is my 3rd Tahoe and I think I'm still madly in love!

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Gapp said:
^^^^^+1

I spent the better part of the weekend detailing and re-detailing. This is my 3rd Tahoe and I think I'm still madly in love!
I cant stop staring at mine, and I have radar for other GMT900's on the road ad the begin to grace the roads with their presence, what a beautiful sight, it's what a truck is supposed to look like. I think it is Americana on wheels.

Gapp

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am about to embark on a road trip to the Rockies in Colorado and am eager to spend some quality time with the family and the Tahoe. We'll see how it goes as far as the MPG's.