#1 Affordable Large SUV

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

BretUSN

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I work for US News and I'm out getting some feedback on our new car rankings and reviews site. We have The Chevrolet Tahoe #1 in our list of Best Affordable Large SUVs. I'd be interested to know what you guys think of the rank of this or any car on our site. Don't worry, this is not spam, I'll be sticking around this forum in case anyone has any thoughts.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Large-SUVs/

Thanks
-Bret

LAP TOP GAMER

Full Access Member
Reaction score
flying somewhare in VATSIM&Delta virtual airlines
Hi guys,

I work for US News and I'm out getting some feedback on our new car rankings and reviews site. We have The Chevrolet Tahoe #1 in our list of Best Affordable Large SUVs. I'd be interested to know what you guys think of the rank of this or any car on our site. Don't worry, this is not spam, I'll be sticking around this forum in case anyone has any thoughts.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Affordable-Large-SUVs/

Thanks
-Bret
You won't have to read far to find out the reasons why we love our Tahoe's and Yukon's as they are very solid and safe vehicles packed with safety features like Onstar and stabilitrak.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I drove all the cars on your list before choosing the tahoe.
Those other cars shouldn't even be on the list. The difference between the Expedition and the Tahoe isn't reflected by the rankings. The Sequoia was awful and the Jeep Commander shouldn't even be considered in the large SUV class(sit in one and you will see why).
Your list needs to have the Toyota Landcruiser, it was easily better than everything on the list except the Tahoe/Yukon. There were only 2 things that kept me from buying the landcruiser: 1.It is overpriced and 2.It lacked enough storage space for me. The Landcruiser also has a few features that I wish the Tahoe had, BLUETOOTH(GM needs to gets this through their head) and Full Time 4WD.

Rafael

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The price tag of the Landcruiser is why its not on the list. With MSRP starting at $56,215 its more appropriate for the Large Luxury SUV list.

http://usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/cars-trucks/rankings/Luxury-Large-SUVs/

That's funny. I have a loaded Tahoe LT3 with the Z71 package and it is easily more luxurious than the Landcruiser. The Lexus version of the Landcruiser is the luxury version.
You should go take a look at some of the Toyota forums, those folks dont consider a Landcruiser to be luxury, they consider it to be an awesome and overpriced off road vehicle.

BretUSN

Reaction score
That's funny. I have a loaded Tahoe LT3 with the Z71 package and it is easily more luxurious than the Landcruiser. The Lexus version of the Landcruiser is the luxury version.
You should go take a look at some of the Toyota forums, those folks dont consider a Landcruiser to be luxury, they consider it to be an awesome and overpriced off road vehicle.

That's an interesting point, but generally we find that consumers that are beginning their research into buying a vehicle begin at price, then move to features. So even though Landcruiser may have more in common with a Tahoe than an Escalade feature wise, people still tend to cross shop the Landcruiser with the Escalade, rather than the Tahoe.

Getwired

Full Access Member
Reaction score
That's an interesting point, but generally we find that consumers that are beginning their research into buying a vehicle begin at price, then move to features. So even though Landcruiser may have more in common with a Tahoe than an Escalade feature wise, people still tend to cross shop the Landcruiser with the Escalade, rather than the Tahoe.

I would be inclined to agree, especially from your perspective of dealing with people who are generally considered "smart shoppers" and are interested in a best-value product. Beyond that lies the more all-inclusive versions in the Yukon Denali and of course the Cadillac Escalade, each made for people who are likely less concerned with the money factor, and more concerned with a rich set of features and then dressing it up in an [arguably] more luxurious package. Chevrolet is all about options for good reason. Price-competitiveness, customization (options), and the same build quality as the GMC and Caddy brands are what Chevrolet is all about. GM SUVs have been very good quality for a while now, and with the GMT900's, they've nearly hit a home run. No, they're not perfect, but I challenge you to find one today that addresses everyone's needs/wants/pet peeves/etc better than a Chevy/GMC/Caddy. It's no surprise to see Tahoe at the top of the list! :thumbsup:

CobraKai

Reaction score
Having just bought my Tahoe a month ago, I've driven all of the cars on that last (minus the Commander - that never entered the discussion) in the past few months. Needless to say (since I bought one) the Tahoe was the clear winner in my book. Simply put, the Tahoe looks better both inside and out than its competitors, including the Yukon (I'm not a fan of the Yukon grill/headlights, other than that it's the same truck) it handles better, and it has just about every feature that you would want (integrated Bluetooth and iPod being the exceptions).

The Expedition has one feature I really wish the Tahoe had (the fold-flat 3rd row seat), but the dated interior of the Expedition isn't even in the same discussion as the Tahoe. The Sequoia is too bland. The Armada is too utilitarian. If I'm going to drop $40K on a truck, I want it to be neither.

johnebgoode

Full Access Member
Reaction score
IMHO......there isn't a truck out there that's more deserving of #1.
It covers all the bases.
Durability
Mobility
Comfort & Luxury
Affordability
Ease of mantainance
I'm sure most would agree, this bad boy is #1 for a reason!!

Crazydefense32

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I definately agree with your list, I have test driven almost all the cars on the list and of course, the Tahoe is the best. However I don't think the Suburban and Expedition are in the same "class" as the Tahoe as they are both much larger, and could be described as XL Suvs. :Chevy:

High4

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree that the Suburban should be dropped from the list due to being almost 1 1/2 feet longer. Putting the Jeep as last is appropriate.