100K Maintence

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Tofast4U

Reaction score
Hey guys I have a 02 Tahoe and it will be turning 100K miles soon. Can anybody tell me what is suggested to be done at the 100K.
Plugs,oil,filter, tranny, 4x4 , coolant,fuel filter? How much oil does the tranny hold. Thanks for your help.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Also check your pcv filter and plug wires, and lubricate steering and chassis components. Check coolant and flush if needed. If your brake fluid is the original, I would bleed and flush the system with new fluid as well when you get a chance. The trans refills with about 7.5 - 8 quarts when you are doing a simple filter and fluid change.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
And I would also clean the throttle body also. A lot of people don't think about the TB. Periodically cleaning the throttle body bore and air bypass passage prevents some of the rough idling problems that some people experience due to a dirty TB. Gunk builds up around the edge of the throttle blade and the surface of the bore, not allowing the blade to completely seal. At idle, air passes through, and the IAC can not control the amount of air being let in past the blade at idle, only through the air bypass passage.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
How do you clean the TB?

Pick up a can of throttle body cleaner from any local auto parts store. Pull the intake tube off at the TB. With engine off, spray the inside of the throttle bore and around the air passage bypass (upper left hand corner). Take a clean, lint free cloth and wipe the inside bore of the TB and throttle blade. Slowly rotate the throttle blade back and wipe the edges of the blade and as far beyond the bore surface as you can reach. Re-install the intake tube and that's it. It may take a little longer than normal to crank the first time, depending on how much you sprayed into the TB. But once started, it'll run fine.

Tofast4U

Reaction score
Thanks for your response, I will clean that as well. Question for you on the oil? would you put synthec oil in the tranny and diff? I'm there and already doing the work. It hasn't had any synthec before?Or you think waste of Money.

JKmotorsports

tahoeyukonforum.com
Reaction score
Thanks for your response, I will clean that as well. Question for you on the oil? would you put synthec oil in the tranny and diff? I'm there and already doing the work. It hasn't had any synthec before?Or you think waste of Money.

No problem.
Anytime you can shell out the little xtra cash for synthetic, it's worth it. There are a lot of stuff out there that companies advertise is better than this and that, and a lot are full of BS. But synthetic fluids are the real deal and help keep down wear and tear.

fco_gonzo

Full Access Member
Reaction score
No problem.
Anytime you can shell out the little xtra cash for synthetic, it's worth it. There are a lot of stuff out there that companies advertise is better than this and that, and a lot are full of BS. But synthetic fluids are the real deal and help keep down wear and tear.

I agree synthetic fluids are good. That's all I use in my tahoe.

MadMedwyn

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Word to that. I use synthetic oil in my engine at the moment; Mobil 1. But any synthetic is great like Castrol ect. And when I hit 100k, I'll switch to synthetic for my transmission, no doubt.

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Agree with above.

When I hit the 100,000 mark, I:
changed the plugs/wires

antifreeze (with new red goo and distilled water)

tranny fluid/filter (I change every year as it is)

rear diff fluid (2wd)

grease everything(do at every oil change anyways)

flushed the brake fluid and put DOT 4 synthetic in place

I always run M1 and Napa Gold/Wix filters.

pulled door panels off and sprayed the cables and tracks with silicone spray for the power windows.

Every oil change I pull the air box off and spray the Throttle body with Teflon safe spray, remove and clean the MAF sensor. I pull the EGR valve and give it a quick wipe as well. Takes me about an hour to do an oil change and clean the TB/EGR and grease the fittings underneath.

Keep them maintained and they can run a long time. We get 265,000 miles out of our sheriff tahoes and you know how cops drive =). I have 124,000+ on my Yukon, doesn't use a drop of oil.

I don't use additives with exception to Techron once in a while and seafoam the motor every season (4 times a year).

Have fun

Aaron

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Takes me about an hour to do an oil change and clean the TB/EGR and grease the fittings underneath.

Is there convenient documentation anywhere on where all the grease fittings are? I do the oil change myself every now and then and looked for them for the first time last month and wow there were a bunch - I'm sure I missed some.

Actually I know I missed some because I need to get a better grease gun - I had a real fun time getting to some of the fittings around the wheels - looks ten times easier with the wheels off, so I'll get to them when I rotate the tires.

Nappers

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not positive, been a couple of thousand miles and the wife has the Yukon lemme see if I can remember where they are......

2 on each wheel, upper lower ball joints = 4

1 on each tie rod end=2

4 total on a rod that does from end to end, It may be the tie rod and maybe the sway bar????

1 on a shaft more towards the passenger side, maybe a power steering shaft or something, slip joint or something.

11 total at least on my '00 Yukon....

maybe tommorow I can take pictures of them for you if it's not raining.

Aaron

brodg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Document ID# 737187
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Maintenance Schedule
Normal Vehicle Use
The maintenance instructions contained in this Maintenance Schedule are based on the assumption that the vehicle will be used as designed:

• Carry passengers and cargo within the recommended limitations as indicated on the Tire Placard located on the edge of the driver's door.

• Are driven on reasonable road surfaces within legal driving limits.

• Driven off-road in the recommended manner. For information on the recommended driving manners, refer to the Owner's Manual

• On unleaded gasoline of the recommended type. For information on the proper type of fuel to use, refer to the Owner's Manual.

Maintenance Schedule Intervals
The services shown in this schedule up to 166 000 km (100,000 miles) should be performed after 166 000 km (100,000 miles) at the same intervals. The services shown in this schedule to be performed at 240 000 km (150,000 miles) should be performed after 240 000 km (150,000 miles) at the same intervals.

For explanations of the maintenance inspections and services included in this Maintenance Schedule, refer to Explanation of Scheduled Services .

For additional maintenance inspections and services which are not included in this Maintenance Schedule, refer to Periodic Maintenance Inspection .

Maintenance Schedule Engine Oil Change Intervals
This vehicle is equipped with a GM Oil Life System â„¢. The GM Oil Life System â„¢ will show when to change the engine oil and oil filter. This will usually occur between 5 000 km (3,000 miles) and 16 000 km (10,000 miles) since the last oil change. Under severe conditions, the indicator may come on before 5 000 km (3,000 miles).

Never drive the vehicle more than 16 000 km (10,000 miles) or 12 months without an oil and oil filter change. The system will not detect dust in the oil. If the vehicle is driven in a dusty area, be sure to change the oil and oil filter every 5 000 km (3,000 miles) or sooner if the CHANGE OIL SOON indicator comes on. Reset the Oil Life System when the oil and filter have been changed.

This vehicle is equipped with an engine oil life monitor. For description and resetting information, refer to GM Oil Life System - Resetting in Maintenance and Lubrication.

This is an Emission Control Service.

Chassis Lubrication
Lubricate the chassis components with each engine oil and filter change. Lubricate the front suspension, ball joints, steering linkage. transmission shift linkage, transfer case shift linkage, parking brake cable guides, and brake front axle. Ball joints should not be lubricated unless their temperature is -12°C (10°F) or higher, or they could be damaged.

Footnotes
† The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency or the California Air Resources Board has determined that the failure to perform this maintenance item will not nullify the emission warranty or limit recall liability prior to the completion of the vehicle's useful life. We, however, urge that all recommended maintenance services be performed at the indicated intervals and the maintenance be recorded.

+ A good time to check the brakes is during tire rotation. Refer to Explanation of Scheduled Services in Maintenance and Lubrication.

Scheduled Maintenance

12 500 Km (7,500 Miles)

• Inspect rear/front axle fluid level and add fluid as needed. Check constant velocity joints and axle seals for leaking.

• Rotate the tires. +

25 000 Km (15,000 Miles)

• Inspect engine air cleaner filter if you are driving in dusty conditions. Replace filter if necessary. This is an Emission Control Service. †

• Inspect rear/front axle fluid level. Add fluid as needed. Inspect the constant velocity joints and the axle seals for leaking.

• Rotate the tires. +

37 500 Km (22,500 Miles)

• Inspect the rear/front axle fluid level. Add fluid as needed. Inspect the constant velocity joints and the axle seals for leaking.

• Rotate the tires. +

50 000 Km (30,000 Miles)

• Inspect the rear/front axle fluid level. Add fluid as needed. Inspect the constant velocity joints and the axle seals for leaking.

• Rotate the tires. +

• Replace the fuel filter. This is an Emission Control Service. †

• Replace engine air cleaner filter. This is an Emission Control Service. †

62 500 Km (37,500 Miles)

• Rotate the tires. +

75 000 Km (45,000 Miles)

• Rotate the tires. +

83 000 Km (50,000 Miles)

• Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter if the vehicle's GVWR is over 8600 lbs. or if the vehicle is mainly driven under one or more of these conditions:

- In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 32°C (90°F) or higher

- In hilly or mountainous terrain

- When doing frequent trailer towing

- Uses such as found in taxi, police or delivery service Allison Transmission 8.1 Liter Engine Only: If vehicle is not used under any of these conditions, change the fluid and the filter at 166,000 km (100,000 miles).

• Change transfer case fluid.

87 500 Km (52,500 Miles)

• Rotate the tires. +

100 000 Km (60,000 Miles)

• Rotate the tires. +

• Replace engine air cleaner filter. This is an Emission Control Service. †

• Inspect the Evaporative Control System. Inspect all the fuel and vapor lines and the hoses for proper for proper hook-up, routing and condition. Ensure that the purge valve works properly, if equipped. Replace the components as needed. This is an Emission Control Service. †

112 500 Km (67,500 Miles)

• Rotate the tires. +

125 000 Km (75,000 Miles)

• Inspect engine air cleaner filter if you are driving in dusty conditions. Replace filter if necessary. This is an Emission Control Service. †

• Rotate the tires. +

137 500 Km (82,500 Miles)

• Rotate the tires. +

150 000 Km (90,000 Miles)

• Rplace engine air cleaner filter. This is an Emission Control Service. †

• Rotate the tires. +

162 500 Km (97,500 Miles)

• Rotate the tires. +

166 000 Km (100,000 Miles)

• Inspect the spark plug wires. This is an Emission Control Service.

• Replace the spark plugs. This is an Emission Control Service.

• Change the automatic transmission fluid and filter if the vehicle's GVWR is over 8600 lbs. or if the vehicle is driven under one or more of these conditions:

- In heavy city traffic where the outside temperature regularly reaches 32°C (90°F) or higher

- In hilly or mountainous terrain

- When doing frequent trailer towing

- Uses such as found in taxi, police or delivery service

• If vehicle has not been used under severe service conditions listed previously and, therefore, the automatic transmission fluid has not been changed, change both the fluid and filter.

• Change transfer case fluid.

• Except 8.1L V8 Engine: Inspect the positive crankcase ventilation (PCV) valve. This is an Emission Control Service.

240 000 Km (150,000 Miles)

• Drain, flush and refill the cooling system (or every 60 months since the last service, whichever comes first).

• Inspect the hoses.

• Clean the following components:

- The radiator

- The condenser

- The pressure cap

- The neck

• Pressure test the cooling system and the pressure cap. This is an Emission Control Service.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Document ID# 737187
2002 Chevrolet Tahoe - 4WD

Tofast4U

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just did the plugs on the Hoe, they are kind of a pain.Also did the flush and fill for the coolant, and brake fluid.Now the problem I ran into. So I drop the drain on the tranny,take all the bolts out of pan, and I can't get it by the linkage? What is the trick to get the pan by the linkage.I looked all around and I can feel 1 bolt on the top of the tranny that holds the linkage on.Now why would they make it this difficult to drop the pan.I mean it is like 1/4 inch that just needs to move.Hey guys let me know what the trick is, as I really don;t want to pay someone to do this.Also I went to autozone for transfer case oil and they say I have to go to the dealer?Is that true, do you know whay oil I can run in it.Thanks Guys.

pwrstroker00

Reaction score
Yah, talk about a PIA. Was a drain plug too much to ask for in the transmission pan??????

I actually had my 240lb. brother pull the linkage towards the driver's side enough that I could wiggle the pan down and out. Same thing going back in. I also removed the little heat shield on the passenger side of the transmission as well. Not sure if I actually had to do that though.

I like our Tahoe alot, but the Chevy engineers really need to take some lessons from Ford engineers on how to make routine maintenance easier for people.

Coastie Kyle

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Tofast4u. You probly need Auto Trak II if you have a NP8 transfer case. GM dealers can tell you if you need gm fluid (auto trak), or if you can just use regular trans fluid. I needed it and used two Ltrs. They told me I needed four. So now I have two extra Ltrs.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
2 on each wheel, upper lower ball joints = 4

1 on each tie rod end=2

4 total on a rod that does from end to end, It may be the tie rod and maybe the sway bar????

1 on a shaft more towards the passenger side, maybe a power steering shaft or something, slip joint or something.

11 total at least on my '00 Yukon....

Well it was finally time to do an oil change on the Tahoe and I found 10 grease points of the above on the 03 (didn't find the last one on the shaft) - thanks for the help!

However, I only was able to lube 9 of the 10 - that long bar from end to end is the track rod, and one of the grease points is exactly where the starter or something is - there is no way I can get a grease hose in there. Now that I think about it, perhaps the solution is to turn the steering wheel all the way in one direction - it might move the grease point to a more accessible location. I'll try that next time when I have more time.

jey_

Full Access Member
Reaction score
An update - changed the oil today and I found and greased all 11 points this time - with the vehicle jacked up and the wheel off I had enough light to find the 11th grease point on the passenger side power steering shaft.