1995 differential fluid question

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

shawnkfl

Reaction score
i'm going to use a synth oil in my rear diff. do i need to add a LSD additive? i've got the oil drained out now. it was black and smelled burnt. could be the cause of my noise. i think the wrong stuff was used. the gears look good though, so i think i caught it in time. it was just changed by the PO right before i got it. what should i put in? is there a gasket for the diff housing or do i just use a good RTV?

qlc1964

Full Access Member
Reaction score
i changed mine 2 months ago in my 95 yukon i put just some diff oil in it.
then i started feeling a faint grinding when i make turns from a stop.

i had my rear rebuilt 2 yrs ago. so i looked at the bottle of diff i used it said ONLY
FOR TOPPING OFF . DAM so the next day i drained it and put the right stuff in it
can't remember the brand but i know longer have that problem . it took no additive
in it. you will need to get the gasket for cover $10.00 for a good seal.

shawnkfl

Reaction score
thank you for replying. i've got the gasket and cover bolted back on now. i used RTV on both sides of the gasket too, to make sure i have a good seal. i go to the parts stores and there's a whole slew of fluids. i just don't know what to buy. i read some posts saying to use the limited slip additive and others say it's not needed. some say synthetic, some not to. i'm all sorts of confused with what to buy.

96Tahoe007

Reaction score
I changed diff fluid with what the owners manual said for oil weight for my '96 Tahoe 2d 4x4 5.7L about 1 1/2 ago---The brand I went with was Valvoline--I think you would be all set with any major brand--I have no idea as far as additives go?? I do not tow with my vehicle or go off road--I saw in a different auto parts store a few days after I bought the 2 bottles of Valvoline diff fluid-that they also put out a synthetic version in the same weight--if I saw the synthetic first-- I would have bought that--oh well--no problems so far--the fluid did not smell bad when I changed it-just black-no surprise there--I think as long as you use the recommended weight you should be all set no matter what brand diff fluid you use

racebronco

Reaction score
I think it depends if you have a locking differential or not. I believe mine said to use the additive, but since I used royal purple which already had the additive in it I didn't have to buy anything extra.

shawnkfl

Reaction score
i went with amsoil synthetic without any additive. i'm fighting a brake issue now, so i can't say if that cured my howling problem yet. i think i'm down to needing two front calipers and possibly front brake lines, hard and soft lines. that shoudl get me back on the road. except, with christmas coming, it will have to wait until i'm done spending money on everyone else first!