1997 Tahoe Rear Main Seal Leaking. Cost To Fix?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NatZan

Reaction score
I have a 1997 2 Door Chevrolet Tahoe. 5.7 liter, 4WD with 144K miles. The rear main seal is leaking. How much will the parts and labor cost to make the repair on average? I'm trying to determine if it's worth spending the money to replace the seal. Thank You.

jkane

Reaction score
upon checking online, the rear main seal goes for about <$30 depending on where you live, and i agree with Lester. Can be a lot cheaper if you have the tools...and the time

i found this on another forum
it's pretty much a pain in the asterisk. If you're doing the rear main you may as well do oil pan gasket too. I just recently did it and I pulled driveshafts, transfer case, trans, undoing all lines and wiring plus dipstick tubes, also the starter. If you have the time to do it in a couple days and a few dedicated buddies or a tranny jack, it's possible, you're looking at 100 bucks for the whole job with new fulids, filters, and seals. If you have a shop do it, they're going to charge you a pretty penny.