1998 Tahoe Questions OBD II Codes

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

wishpony13

Reaction score
My husband just did a scan on the Tahoe and wants to know what these codes mean (and in layman terms so I can understand :p. The codes are P1870 02/03, PO157 01/03 and P1870 03/03. It also came up with Fault - 2 Pend - 1. He also wants to know what he has to do to fix them.
Thanks for your help. :)

Colabella7077

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I haven't come across those codes. But what you can do is go to a Chevrolet/GM dealership and there is a bulletin that is produced by GM, concerning codes and possible issues that could cause the problem.

maddbrewer

Reaction score
You can also go to website for the OBD11 scanner and type (the codes) them in there and they will give you a definition.

wishpony13

Reaction score
I have used google to look them up with no luck. I will try looking up the website for the obd II scanner.

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
the P0157 is a heated O2 sensor low voltage bank 2 code.

and the P1870 is a transmission component slipping.

wishpony13

Reaction score
So for p1870 when it states 02/03 is that the slip between 2nd and 3rd gear? When we drive the Tahoe after awhile, it will make a clunk when it shifts from 1st to 2nd. So he was wondering what he could check that could be causing the slippage...

peterey2

Full Access Member
Reaction score
youd have to take it to get a scanner hooked up to it to trace it properly. they should start by checking communication from the VCM (vehicle control module) to the TCC (torque converter clutch) solenoid valve for damage. its on the valve body of the tranny. youll have to drop the pan to get to it tho.

the 02/03 that i think you mean inicates the amount of codes you have and what code your viewing. for example, if it reads 01/02. you have 2 codes, and the code on the screen is 1 of 2.

wishpony13

Reaction score
Okay so is there anywhere there is a picture of when you drop the pan and where the valve body of the tranny is to find the solenoid valve that are damaged? And would you have to replace the solenoid valves or is there something else that can be done?