1998 transmission rating?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

T-Bagg

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at power programmers for my Tahoe. I'm thinking Hypertech or Jet. The Jet programmer says it can up the HP by as much as 130 and increase torque by 205 Ft/Lbs. My question is, do any of you know what the stock transmission is rated at, Hp and torque, for the '98 'Hoe?

I've heard the some programmers have different settings from max fuel economy to max power. Does anyone have any suggestion for programmers?

Mike97

Full Access Member
Reaction score
From what I've read, the 700r4 transmission is pretty strong and can handle quite a bit of power. You should be more concerned with the weak rear end.

95TwinTT

Full Access Member
Reaction score
The 4L60e can be a reliable transmission up to 550 HP or so. It takes some aftermarket parts to get there.

The weak link in these transmission is the 3/4 clutch pack. The normal thing to do for beefing them up is to replace them with the clutch packs with more disc's. They are thinner, making room for the extra's

I took mine all way, with all the mods, and it did fine for a while, standing up to the hair driers, but I was right on the edge. I want to take the boost up to see if I can take my Camaro in the 1/4. Knowing that the trans can't take 300 more hp, from where it is right now, I went to the " built" 4L80e.

It all depends on how much power you will be adding. If you are not going past 500 or so, you can get by with the 4L60, but it will require the 5 pinion bucket, plus the big pump and performance clutch disc's.

If you go through all that, you would preserve your investment by controlling it with the TCI, transmission control unit. That way, you could make sure the pressures are always perfect.

The other thing to do that is almost always ignored is the torque converter. The new higher stall speed converters can actually multiply the torque. It can make as much difference as the power mods to the engine.

I suspect most failures of these transmission's in built up cars, is because the trans has not had the proper attention given for pressures throughout the varioius gears.

The stand alone computers are easy to hook up. They come with the wiring harness and good instructions.

If you want to skip all the BS of building up a 4L60e, a stock 4L80e will take a couple hundred more hp than you have, without doing anything to it. It is an easy conversion on these trucks.

Good luck with the project...........:thumbsup:

Whippled2dr

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been looking at power programmers for my Tahoe. I'm thinking Hypertech or Jet. The Jet programmer says it can up the HP by as much as 130 and increase torque by 205 Ft/Lbs. My question is, do any of you know what the stock transmission is rated at, Hp and torque, for the '98 'Hoe?

I've heard the some programmers have different settings from max fuel economy to max power. Does anyone have any suggestion for programmers?

Hypertech is junk compared to a custom tune (there are many tuners in the US that can do this for you for the same price as the hypertech). Also what JET tuner are you referring to. If it is JET DST, it is not a simple programmer like hypertech. It is a custom tuning program that you install on a computer and can change many parameters and tables in your truck's PCM. It is not something that can be learned how to do in a day. If you want to go this route and learn how to tune, then stay away from JET and go with either hptuners or efilive (both support the 98 vortec engines and have great forums for help). JET offers little to no support.

As for the 4l60E, I ran mine with a shift kit, servos, and bigger cooler for 20K with my whipple before is took a crap. I have a built FLT 4L60E now and a PI torque converter and have had no problems for 15K miles. My setup dynoed 330 rwhp and 450 rwtq on a conservative tune.