1999 Escalade driver-side mirror

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

r.knighter

Reaction score
Howdy guys,

I am trying to repair some damage done to my mirror and I cannot remove the mirror cover from the mirror brace (the power unit inside the cover).

The previous owner, when damaging the mirror, broke the pegs that extend from the inside of the cover and screw into the power unit. A hasty repair job tried to glue these pegs back in place, but damaged ensued a second time, and the cover would flap loosely around the power unit, in heavy wind and in car-washes.

So, in my photos, the bolt on the far left (closest to the mounting bracket) will not come out. I've sprayed it with Penetr8, hammered it, screwed it, socket-drivered it, but to no avail. I've managed to make perhaps an 1/8 of a turn of progress, but that's it. I thought perhaps there's rust in there or it's been off-threaded (from whatever damaged it the first place or from me now). However, the same screw on the passeger side (not damaged) shows the same stubbornness. The other two (on the right) on each mirror come out with little effort. Is there something about these inward screws (closest to the bracket) that only a dealer mechanic can work with?

Attachments

• mirror.jpg
    mirror.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 1
  • mirror 2.jpg
    mirror 2.jpg
    116.2 KB · Views: 1