1999 Tahoe 4x4 5.7 Transmission??

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Timberwolf17044

Reaction score
New problems developing with my baby girl. a few weeks back I had a bent valve and ended up replacing both heads. While I was at it I replaced the oil cooler lines, water pump, she got new ac delo plugs, wires, cap, rotor, ignition coil and cam sensor. Also dropped in a new serpentine belt and an outer tie rod end passenger side. Needless to say I am very much committed to this vehicle now. So anyhow, now it develops a clunk/shudder that shakes the entire vehicle. IT seems to be happening moments after it shifts into overdrive. For example if I were climbing a grade at 60 mph, and after I reached the top it would drop into overdrive at the point where the load has decreased and a few moments later is this heavy clunk/shudder. What I can tell you is that when this happened there is no change in the rpm's whatsoever, I've also noticed at that there are times when it is cruising at 60 mph and I tap the brakes the rpm's do not increase although other times they do indicating the torque converter is working. Now for some more info, in the past three days I drove it from central Pennsylvania down I 81 & I77 to North Carolina. Pulling a 14' boat and trailer that weights around 600 - 700 lbs. Three people in the vehicle so right around 600 lbs inside. This is a 500 mile trip one way. On the way down it was doing the clunk/shudder quite often. On the way back however, after adding in 8 cases of grape juice, say 300 lbs or so added weight it ran like a top the whole way home until about 60 miles from home when one of the riders got out so we lost 200 pounds. I can also add that there is 199,000 miles on the vehicle and assuming the tranny as well. It does shift a bit rough but nothing outrageous, I'd expect some roughness in shifting after that many miles. It also never happens under acceleration only when its letting off. Ok your thoughts folks?

Big_Al

Reaction score
Do you think it could be a misfire? My sons truck did the same thing. Took it to my favorite transmission shop. He said to check plugs and wires.???? Sure enough, had a bad connection on one wire at the dist. cap. I know you just changed the plugs but I've heard of new plugs being bad. His truck only shuttered in O.D. That's why I thought it was the trans.....HTH.....Al

wstefanko

Reaction score
Mine is doing the same thing. It does not do it all of the time but it will do it on one hill every time on my way home from work. I replace the plugs around 5000 miles ago but the problem just started about 2 weeks ago. I am hoping for something simple rather than a tranny rebuild.

lesterl

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Have you added a can of Trans-X or something in the Trans?

Timberwolf17044

Reaction score
Update:

I took the truck into a transmission shop for diagnosis and they found no issues with the tranny or torqe converter everything functions as normal. There is a lot of noise coming from the transfer case so before I go further that needs to be repaired. I will post updates after that has been completed hopefully this coming week.

johnb

Reaction score
It sound to me to be a Transfer Case issue I would start there!!

johnb

Reaction score
I just bought a 98 Tahoe and it has No Reverse... I'm in search for a Tranny now for it..

cryinthabluze

Reaction score
Yeah, mine does the same, and kind of afraid to take it on the freeway to see if the problem persists at higher speeds. I have had two mechanics not interested in money tell me, well one was drunk and all I got out of him was "torque converter". The other says there's a valve flap or something in the converter that could be sticking. I sucked some juice from the tranny, added a half pint seafoam trams-tune and a squeeze thing of "torque converter shudder stutter instant fix". And within 20 miles the jerk was amazingly less. Still got the problem though but I'll figger it out

revlimiter776

Reaction score
shudder

i had the same deal after extensive engine light chasing and finally repair ( intake gaskets and valves) the torque converter was the problem, it seemed to work fine but when i finally bit the bullet and replaced it problem solved

cryinthabluze

Reaction score
Price tag?

How much was it to replace torque converter? That's kind of what I've gotten the problem narrowed down to