1999 Yukon SLT, steering

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've a 1999 Yukon SLT with 113,000 Kilometres, power steering pump changed at 60,000. Occasionally, when parking or pulling out of driveway, I seem to lose power steering assist. Fluids fine, no belt squeal, steers fine when moving only when just moving. 265 tires, ball joints are fine, nothing obvious binding. Anyone run into this? I noticed a thread on the steering sensor, however, the symptoms seems different.
Regards
Tom G.:mob:

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I had a similar sounding problem.
I could not turn well ( or struggled) at a very slow speed/.
after about a month of this i noticed that I was leaking some PS fluid, but only enough for a drop on the ground.
when I looked to the coupler on the high pressure PS hose, it was leaking, and landing on a portion of the engine compartment, and not dripping all the way to the ground.
so yeah, it was that hose. replaced it, and steering came back with no problems.
maybe you could check yours and see if its leaking?
just a thought.

Pete

UAV_1999

Reaction score
I'm haveing the same problem but I replaced my pump but not the resevoir. The seal didn't seat right and is leaking now. Now whaen Sitting still or a low speeds such as becking out of a parking space I have no pwer steering. I actually have to brake and throttle to get power. I'm wondering if there is an upraded or higher performance pump. My wheel and tires are pretty large and I wonder if they weren't what knocked out the pump in the first place.

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
come to think of it, my hose started to leak AFTER i got my larger wheels also. Coincidence? not sure.

UAV_1999

Reaction score
Does anyone know of an upgrade for a PS pump? There has got to be something. $100 bucks for a PS pump every couple of months isn't going to cut it. I know chevy has a PS pump that costs around $400 that is connected to the brake booster but that's no the one I have.

UAV_1999

Reaction score
You know I took my tahoe to a dealership yesterday just because of lack of time and a place to change fluids but as the guys there were looking at it they topped off all fluids and inspected for leaks. For some reason the guys said yeah truck looks great. No leaks everything looks dry and fresh. uh hmm. I say. You just lost my business. I know for a fact that my power steering leaks and I have a minor transfer case leak. Why is it people feel they need to lie to get money out of you in the future? I'm not in an area where I can fix my transfer case myself. So instead of walking into the parts department and ordering another PS pump I grabbed my keys and walked off.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Checked the PS hoses and surrounding area, no sign of a leak. I have carefully read the recent post by ROYD and the subsequent thread responses able the EVO sensor thinking there might be a connection, but there does not seem to be. It only happens infrequently and it seems there is never anyone with me so I can look (and hear) under the hood while it is going on. Confused.

culva

Reaction score
Possible steering problem solution

Newbie -

I talked with a GM master mechanic about this. The problem is a steering wheel position sensor located inside the cabin just above the floor at the mounting bracket. It is the thing that feels like it has teeth on it. Have not found one anywhere other than at a dealer - so be prepared.

loulblades

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know of an upgrade for a PS pump? There has got to be something. $100 bucks for a PS pump every couple of months isn't going to cut it. I know chevy has a PS pump that costs around $400 that is connected to the brake booster but that's no the one I have.

I am currently upgrading mine with an AGR Super Pump (along with their steering box) because I am adding a hydraulic winch and wanted the extra oomph.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've ran my larger wheels and tires for about 3 years now, and never had a prob out of the ps till now - as i take the cap off and look inside, it looks like acidic sewage in there.. i mean sludge etc.. quite nasty.. so i figure that is my problem

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I replaced the sensor, same problem. Went through the whole steering system trying to find something that was not correct. Could not find anyting. A week ago I was standing in front of the Yukon while it was running and heard a chirping squeal every once in a while. Pulled the surpentine belt, which looked great while it was on the Yukon. Found a spot on it that was worn almost completely through. The rest of the belt looks great. Change the belt and the steering problem is gone. Who'd a thunk it?

ziggy11487

Reaction score
2000 Yukon SLT steering

Hey Guys, I have a problem here I cant figure out... I can turn fine to the right with power steering at a stop or on the go....BUT...to the left i have to use both hands and struggle with it, at a stop and wile on the move. any Ideas?

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
A number of posts above offer very good ideas on this perplexing problem, however, my guess (and I guess first plan of attack because it is cheapest) would be to replace the steering postion sensor at the base of the steering column. A number of posts here and at other sites suggest this sensor change has corrected their issues.

ziggy11487

Reaction score
2000 Yukon SLT steering

Thanks I will try that, I just called the local dealer and they told me that they have seen it before and that I need to replace the entire gear box for $900. But ill try the sensor first

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
hahaha you can find the steering box for much less than that... looked before i bought mine and they were $350 or so, IIRC.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I've been told that these steering boxes are prone to internal pressure bypasses, so it very well could be the steering box, but I would try the steering position sensor first, before I spent $900 for a new box and I distrust anything a dealer tells me. If the sensor didn't fix it, I would take it to several reputable alignment shops and get quotes, before I let the dealer touch it.

96ProCompTahoe

Full Access Member
Reaction score
usually when they go out your steering is really really loose both ways (test drove one with a toasted steering box)

is your power steering fluid full?

ziggy11487

Reaction score
2000 Yukon SLT steering

OK, so last night I tried a couple of things. First I tried unplugging the steering sensor and the base of the shaft in the cabin and tried steering, just the same as before, good to the right but not the left. I plugged it back in, put the can in neutral, and throttled up to an even 3k RPM and turning to the left was noticeably easier but no where need where it used to be. Still the sensor or more looking like the gear box. Thanks