1999 Yukon SLT

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am looking at getting a new vehicle later this week and was wondering if anyone had any advice on what to look for or what issues they are prone to having? Any comments/suggestions are more than welcome!

Thanks

treepete

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Lower intake manifold gaskets about 100K miles.
General slop in the steering, pitmann, idler arms etc.

check all electrical items in the car, make sure they arent acting funny. We see a lot of weird electrical-related posts here.

Im sure there are more.

myhd

Reaction score
Intake leaking anti-freeze, as mentioned.

Also, multiswitch.(Signals, cruise etc)

I replaced both on my 99.

My Mechanic said they are the most common repairs on these trucks.

Last edited:

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
4wd lo-hi switch is a little flacky on some.

Do you mean that there are issues going between 4x2, 4x4 hi and 4x4 lo or that there are issues with the switch its self. Meaning that the light does not come on etc. etc.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
Reading your thread I'm not sure of one thing. Are you looking at brand new, or are you looking at getting a 99 Yukon SLT?

YukonMud

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Reading your thread I'm not sure of one thing. Are you looking at brand new, or are you looking at getting a 99 Yukon SLT?

I am looking at getting a 'new to me' vehicle; a 1999 Yukon SLT.

Stats:
1999 Yukon SLT
4dr 4x4 with tailgate (rather than barn doors)
107,xxx miles
3" lift
aftermarket cat back exhaust
33" tires on stock wheels
says it's in great condition both in the body and mechanically...however the interior shows signs of wear b/c he is a general contractor. I am going to look at it this Wednesday (and purchase it, if I like it) so I'll have to see how bad or good the interior is.

GMCYukalade

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I own one... so maybe i can help, alot has already been mentioned - get down, and look at the frame, for deep grooves, best way to tell if it has been off-roaded alot, is to look behind the t-case on the bar that goes from one side of the frame to the other, there is a wire there with black loom on it, if its full of mud, its been off-road a few good times.. (thats the Pass Side O2 Sensor wires in that loom) - also - Drive it, get it somewhere where u can test the 4-lo pretty good - any clunking? (front axles) - mentioned above, electrical - 4wd selector switch, if the 2wd Light is on, than it should be fine - Headlamp Switch... Heater Controler Switch, ive replaced all of the above switches - take it easy in this machine, spinning tires etc on the factory rear-end eventually it will come out - I also replaced my water-pump at around 75,000 - Check the Pitman Arm Seal for leakage, i replaced that twice - around 80,000 (second time was not even 2wks after 1st shops fualt) take it to a reputable mechanic and see if he will look it over for you as well.. Plugs Wires Cap Button Fuel filter - all replaced on mine around 100,000 see if the guy who owns it has done a tune-up.. check the oil-dipstick, and see if all the fluids are good and topped off... umm, as far as inside, only thing that needs replaced on mine is the front two door handles, pass side broke off first, than drivers side.. they are prone to breaking.. mine broke around 120,000 (126,000 on the vehicle now) also - my air-bag light comes on from time to time talked to a mechanic, he said that one thing dealers don't tell you is that air-bags need to be serviced... but, i don't really care for air-bags.. so..

Rick90467

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Also listen for the fuel pump, if you can hear it running while standing at the front bumper then it is on the way out. They get real whiny near the end of their life cycle, $225 and it's in the tank so a bit of pain to change.

MikeCallery

Reaction score
I owned a 99 Yukon SLT for about 50k and only had one issue for it, which GMC knew about, said they were working on, but never had a solution, and it's not a problem all of these vehicles had.

There was some issue with the throttle body that would keep the vehicle at speed, typically 30 or below, meaning, you'd be driving at 30mph, or less, take your foot off the gas and it would continue at that speed on it's own. Once you hit the brake, the computer kicked in, shut off the fuel flow and the vehicle would slow normally and properly, but otherwise, it would keep speed.

I remember going down Canal Street here, taking my foot off the gas at a certain point and at 3/4 mile later, it was still doing 28mph or thereabouts.

I'd bring the vehicle in, they'd clean the throttle body, and some other parts, the problem would go away and then come back another day.

Again, this was not on every vehicle, but it was a known issue.

blk87brd

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I have a 1999 Yukon SLT. I had a 1999 Tahoe LS. Other than badging, they are the same vehicle. I had 480,000 Kilometres on the Tahoe. Relaced the transmission at 156,000 Kilo's, the fuel pump at 255,000 kilo's again at 450,000, alternator chaged twice, plugs and wires several times, belt tensioners, several times, brakes, rotors and drums several times. Other than that fuel oil and wipers. U-joints and shocks a couple of times. Had issue with intake manifold gasket while I was away from home so put in bars leak, neaver had a problem with it again nor with heater as I was told I would have if I used bars leak.
The Yukon, which I have had for 4 months had 112,000Kilo's on it when I got it, with a complete history from day one. Had a power steering pump at 65,000 kilo's, radio at 75,000 kilo's, door lock on drivers door, u-joints at 95,000 kilo's.
My advise is, if you can get one that has been looked after, and as a couple of posts above indicate, you can tell, get it. They don't come any better and will give you a lot of very enjoyable miles (or Kilo's if you are in Canada). I have regretted buying vehicles in the past but have never regretted th two I have had.