2001 tahoe door speakers

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Harrison256

Reaction score
does anyone know where to find replacement speakers for the rear door on a 2001 tahoe? I know GMPartsdirect.com but i need the part number.

So anyone know either the part number or another place to find a replacement?

Big Tap

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Are you wanting to go back with factory only? Much better aftermarket stuff out there that you could probably get for less than what you'd pay for factory. Are you just looking for the rear door speakers or the tweeters that go in the D pillars as well? If you're locked into the factory stuff, I'd check Ebay or a wrecking yard for some good stuff. If I can track mine down, Ill sell you mine.

Harrison256

Reaction score
I just need the one speaker for the driver side rear door, no tweeter in that area. Id like to stick with factory bc i dont feel like changing out all 4 speakers or adding an amp which id eventually have to do

texastbird

Reaction score
I hate to break it to you, but as another owner of a 2001 model, the factory speakers in my Tahoe were all deteriorating pretty badly. The paper was separating from the rubber on all of them. A couple of them had the rubber rotting and tearing causing the speaker to sound really bad. You could replace one but it would be easier to just put four new ones in the doors, there are some inexpensive speakers that would sound good without changing amps or all that. Check with Crutchfield to see which ones will fit.

phonedrn8

Full Access Member
Reaction score
upgrade man spend the money, better sound will be much :D

bigrfish

Reaction score
The stereo in my 2001 Tahoe started sounding pretty badly, and I thought there was a problem with some of the door speakers, but there wasn't.

Background: 2 or 3 years ago the stock radio/CD machine quit working, and on a Black Friday deal from New Egg.com, I bought a Clarion with a USB port on it, that has a DSP chip that allows for all sorts of subwoofer volume, crossover frequency adjustments via changing crossover points of both high and low-pass filters, many parametric changes and tonal adjustments are available on this CD/radio unit, and I think it has 50W X 4 channels...$75.00 and head-and-shoulders better than stock. I just set it up as well as I could when I got it and forgot about it.

Recently, being aware there was trouble in 'paradise", I got a quiet moment, put on some moderately punchy music, and discovered that the distortion I was hearing was from the subwoofer (and not any of the door speakers) which on the '01 Tahoe, is in a little molded plastic box on the driver's side of the vehicle back behind the Left rear wheel. The big round grill was a giveaway to the location!!

The rear door sill, the trim under-the-window, and the little vertical back corner trim pieces have to be pursuaded away from their normal locations to gain access. Unscrew the cargo net stud. The stock woofer was deteriorated, pieces of the surround lay in the bottom of the enclosure, and the cone was flapping wildly, sort of like a chicken with a wrung-neck, hence the distortion.

After some research, I found that it took an 8" sub to replace it. I got a low profile or reduced height 8" JBL subwoofer the GT 804, from Amazon.com for nearly $50.00 shipped, (30 bucks cheaper than Crutchfield) and put it in. The difference between the two speakers was like a Mercedes and a Yugo. The short of it is that it fixed all the radio distortion problems and the bass now sounds great, very high-fidelity. I am an audiophile and have almost exclusively Klipsch speakers and Crown amps biamped with electronic crossovers(5 stereo power amps, 20 drivers) in my home system so I know good and this sounds good.

Installing the new sub was rather straightforward. It fit in the box well, just clipped off the old terminals, stripped the wires, and screwed the corresponding wires down into the 5-way binding posts, plugged the old mounting holes (for a flange slightly larger than the original speaker) with their old screws so there would be no whistling or "chuffing" from the back of the sub through the edges of the enclosure, and took self-drilling screws and mounted the woofer to the front of the box, from the outside, centered in the available hole. The new sub comes with some foam with a single-sticky side, and I ringed the opening with the foam before I mounted the subwoofer, to seal vibrations in and stifle any possible rattling. You would start these screws fast then slow down to avoid stripping, and save the step of drilling a bunch of holes. After I got it installed, replaced all the trim, then took to the front seat for an adjusting session...now it's all good.

I wouldn't waste a dime of YOUR money on any genuine GM speakers...if you go to the website of Parts Express (an outfit in Ohio) and get the cheapest pair of 6.5" speakers you could find the pair of them would be better in quality than what is in there now, and probably half the price. Even if mismatched it would still sound better if you just replaced the one. Do some price comparison at Amazon.com too.

The main reason I like Parts Express is they sell an EXTENSIVE inventory of speakers and publish the Thiele and Small parameters for everything they sell, have excellent customer service and technical support, and are dedicated to the audiophile community. That's good, but I'll still save $30.00 if I can...

Good luck with fixing your audio system...