2001 Tahoe idling real low and dies sometime

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

domesticracer1

Reaction score
I just bought a 2001 Tahoe and it has the vortec V8, it idles real low and sometimes dies when you stop driving. The fuel gauge is acting up to, it takes forever to read the amount on the gauge and the fuel leveling shows it keeps going up and down.

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
You might want to have your fuel pressure and fuel volume checked to be sure this isnt a fuel pump issue.

Might also want to check your air filter and clean your idle air control valve.

HitandRunDriver

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I used to have a low idle of around 400 rpm and when my ABS module crapped out the dealership said there was a fix for it so i guess they reflashed the computer or something. Ever since i idle around 500 and the truck feels less sluggish

1star2

Reaction score
I used to have a low idle of around 400 rpm and when my ABS module crapped out the dealership said there was a fix for it so i guess they reflashed the computer or something. Ever since i idle around 500 and the truck feels less sluggish

I just bought an '01 Denali and it idles low also, was this a recall or do you have to pay for this. I found a tech service bulletin on the low idle issue. Just wondering if a tech service bulletin means that the dealer will fix at no charge.

Last edited:

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Start with a throttle body cleaning. I used to have a 2000 with the 5.3L that would do this. It seemed to require it every year and I think they flashed the computer once as well. Dealership will do the throttle body service for around $100 and most independent shops would probably do it to. Somewhere there was a write-up on doing it yourself...don't remember where though.

The Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) just gives the mechanics recommended procedures for fixing things. So, it's not a recall and wouldn't be free.

The fuel gauge acting up could be the sending unit. I think it's with the fuel pump in the gas tank. It's usually replaced along with the fuel pump due to the labor cost involved. The fuel pump replacement (labor and parts) on our 2003 was around $800 at the dealership.

jkolling

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2002 Yukon Denali XL. The idle would drop after stopping and would idle rough at times. I bought a 2$ can of throttle body cleaner and removed the 2 screws holding the air intake from the throttle body. WOW it was pretty dirty. Stuffed a rag inside and sprayed the cleaner. After getting cleaned and taking the rag out start the truck. It will run rough for a short time (1 minute) until it burns the crap that the rag didn't catch but now mine idles perfect.

east302

Full Access Member
Reaction score
There you go...what jkolling said is how you do it yourself. Wouldn't hurt to give it a shot and will probably fix the issue...save some money too. I always figured I'd screw something up :ktoe: so ended up paying to have it done.

1star2

Reaction score
I recently purchased a 2002 Yukon Denali XL. The idle would drop after stopping and would idle rough at times. I bought a 2$ can of throttle body cleaner and removed the 2 screws holding the air intake from the throttle body. WOW it was pretty dirty. Stuffed a rag inside and sprayed the cleaner. After getting cleaned and taking the rag out start the truck. It will run rough for a short time (1 minute) until it burns the crap that the rag didn't catch but now mine idles perfect.

Do you stick the rag in there to prevent the cleaner from going down the throttle body?

jpmaniac87

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Clean the MAF too! I had the same problem and cleaning the sensor fixed it

jeep450

Reaction score
There is updated programing for low idle when carbon is built up in the throttle body. It will not fix it without cleaning, you can just keep cleaning as needed.

schwoates

Reaction score
Hey guys, I know this is an old post but I figured I might still get a response.

I've been cleaning the throttle for years now of my 2001 5.3 yukon and I'm pretty tired of doing so. Does anybody know if replacing the entire throttle body with a new one will fix this or if it will just continue to be an issue for the entirety of the vehicle? I've also been thinking of replacing the IAC valve but if this won't really matter than I won't.

Superkipp

Reaction score
Mine did this as well. I pulled the throttle body and cleaned it, changed plugs at same time. Ran great after that.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk