2001 Tahoe Subwoofer/Audio Replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

ramdomguyishere

Reaction score
I just bought my first Tahoe and couldn't be happier! However, the subwoofer appears to be blown (or at least partially blown). Whenever I have the bass turned up and the pitch of a bass note goes past a certain point, a sound that I can only describe as "someone throwing multiple small rocks at my back window" occurs.

Can anyone confirm that this is my subwoofer?

Assuming it is my subwoofer, I want to replace it. How exactly do I go about doing this? Does just any subwoofer work (as long as it will fit in that enclosure on the left-hand side in the trunk)? Would I have to purchase an amplifier as well? I am mainly just looking for something that will give my Tahoe the "boom boom" effect when I turn up the bass.

Everything pertaining to audio in the Tahoe is stock, aside from a 6-CD changer that was installed above the subwoofer.

Any product recommendations would be appreciated. I am trying to stay in the $100-$150 range (if that's possible with a project like this). If anyone could point out exactly what materials I will need to do this, that would be awesome.

On another note, I would also like to replace the deck up front with a radio that will allow me to connect my iPod. What materials would I need for this? Again, everything that is there right now is stock. I would most likely buy a deck from Best Buy.

I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (off-road package).

Thanks in advanced for any help!

EMF Audio

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
I just bought my first Tahoe and couldn't be happier! However, the subwoofer appears to be blown (or at least partially blown). Whenever I have the bass turned up and the pitch of a bass note goes past a certain point, a sound that I can only describe as "someone throwing multiple small rocks at my back window" occurs.

Can anyone confirm that this is my subwoofer?

Assuming it is my subwoofer, I want to replace it. How exactly do I go about doing this? Does just any subwoofer work (as long as it will fit in that enclosure on the left-hand side in the trunk)? Would I have to purchase an amplifier as well? I am mainly just looking for something that will give my Tahoe the "boom boom" effect when I turn up the bass.

Everything pertaining to audio in the Tahoe is stock, aside from a 6-CD changer that was installed above the subwoofer.

Any product recommendations would be appreciated. I am trying to stay in the $100-$150 range (if that's possible with a project like this). If anyone could point out exactly what materials I will need to do this, that would be awesome.

On another note, I would also like to replace the deck up front with a radio that will allow me to connect my iPod. What materials would I need for this? Again, everything that is there right now is stock. I would most likely buy a deck from Best Buy.

I have a 2001 Chevy Tahoe Z71 (off-road package).

Thanks in advanced for any help!

It does sound like it's probably the sub. As for will any sub do, yes and no. Without knowing the enclosure size its hard to say what will work best, but any will "work" provided it fits. You will have a problem with depth though, that limits your options. I don't know the exact depth but it won't be a lot. That would be the biggest factor to know before making any recommendations.

As for the HU, that depends on if you have Onstar or Bose and if you want to retain steering wheel controls or anything like that.

ramdomguyishere

Reaction score
It does sound like it's probably the sub. As for will any sub do, yes and no. Without knowing the enclosure size its hard to say what will work best, but any will "work" provided it fits. You will have a problem with depth though, that limits your options. I don't know the exact depth but it won't be a lot. That would be the biggest factor to know before making any recommendations.

As for the HU, that depends on if you have Onstar or Bose and if you want to retain steering wheel controls or anything like that.

Thanks for the reply!

I believe it's an 8-inch enclosure. Not sure on the depth, and can't find anything on it. I would say no more than 6 inches though.

As for OnStar, I am not subscribed and don't plan to ever be. There is an OnStar button on the dash, but that's it. I am not sure if I have a Bose system. How can I check that?

EMF Audio

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply!

I believe it's an 8-inch enclosure. Not sure on the depth, and can't find anything on it. I would say no more than 6 inches though.

As for OnStar, I am not subscribed and don't plan to ever be. There is an OnStar button on the dash, but that's it. I am not sure if I have a Bose system. How can I check that?

Does your door panel say Bose on it at the grill? If not, no Bose. I bet you have less than 6" depth. Best thing you can do is take out the sub and measure for yourself, that will give you a better idea. You can use the stock amp with a low powered sub, but for better performance you'd want to upgrade that as well, doesn't have to be much though.

ramdomguyishere

Reaction score
Does your door panel say Bose on it at the grill? If not, no Bose. I bet you have less than 6" depth. Best thing you can do is take out the sub and measure for yourself, that will give you a better idea. You can use the stock amp with a low powered sub, but for better performance you'd want to upgrade that as well, doesn't have to be much though.

Okay I don't have Bose! The stock subwoofer is 2 ohm I believe. So an aftermarket 2 ohm sub should work, right? Do you think I could manage a 4 ohm subwoofer with the stock amp?

EMF Audio

Supporting Vendor
Reaction score
Okay I don't have Bose! The stock subwoofer is 2 ohm I believe. So an aftermarket 2 ohm sub should work, right? Do you think I could manage a 4 ohm subwoofer with the stock amp?

You'd want a dual 4 ohm, a single 4 ohm wouldn't get much power from the already not much power amp. I suspect that amp is probably 100 watts or so.