2002 Chevy Suburban fuel gauge only reading 3/4 full

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Lexxlugga

Reaction score
Has any one out there experienced this problem? When I fill the tank, the gauge only reads 3/4 full. What is the fix for this. Is there a DYI? Part#. and Prices.

FishNJ

Reaction score
did it used to go all the way up to full?

could be the fuel pump/sending unit... located in the gas tank... you basically have to take apart the entire rear end, drop the tank, replace the pump, and put it all back together.. correctly... since it doesnt sound like you are very mechanically inclined, definitely not a do-it-yourselfer...

Denali168

Reaction score
I have this problem on my 2000 Corvette sometimes if I don't fill up with Chevron gasonline (w/ Techron). I don't know if it applies to our trucks since I have never experienced that problem on the Denali or my previous Tahoe. Have you tried using some Techron? If you have any Chevrons in your area, they have it added in their gasoline. If not, you can buy a bottle of it a your local auto parts store. It might be worth a shot. Good luck!

Lexxlugga

Reaction score
Fuel gauge misreadings

Yes it used to go all the way up actually it just started doing that about 2 fill ups ago. I'll try the chevron additive and see if that works. As far as replacing the fuel sending unit, I don't think I can handle that, I don't have the right equipment to drop the rear end myself. But thanks for the info.

Denali168

Reaction score
Lexlugga, just wondering if you had a chance to try out the Techron yet. Hopefully it will resolve the issue :thumbsup:

dye4metal

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Yes it used to go all the way up actually it just started doing that about 2 fill ups ago. I'll try the chevron additive and see if that works. As far as replacing the fuel sending unit, I don't think I can handle that, I don't have the right equipment to drop the rear end myself. But thanks for the info.

it takes a socket wrench to drop the tank and some jackstands. its fairly easy.