2002 Factory Amp

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Jake007

Reaction score
I have an 2002 with no Bose and no OnStar. Just upgraded my sterio to a nice Alpine and 4 Alpine speakers with amazing improvement (old speaker cones were ripped). However, the Alpine does power a factory amp which powers the speakers and a rear sub in the rear storage area.

1. Does anyone know what the power output specs are for the factory amp that is located behind the glove box (including the sub power output)?

I am trying to decide if the Alpine output would be better or the amp output.

2. Also, anyone know how to get the glove box out to access the amp?

Sepiroth

Spam Executioner
Reaction score
I do not know the output of the factory amp, nor do i know the specs of the subwoofer. IMHO, the stock stuff is just that, stock stuff. The amp and sub are IMO cheap and any aftermarket replacement is sure to sound much better.

I say replace the stock sub and amp. You can house the new amp in the space with the amp, I believe, and you're in business

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I am trying to decide if the Alpine output would be better or the amp output.

Just want to make sure I understand that question…
The RCA leads coming from the Alpine are line level outputs; you cannot hook a sub to them directly. Well I suppose you could but it would be pointless.
In order to run the factory sub or amp you are going to have to interface the aftermarket head unit into the factory amp to give it some kind of signal and trigger. This, IMO, is not the best approach… One because the factory amp sucks. Two because I don’t know how to do it. (don’t really care either, because of one ;))

Jake007

Reaction score
Clarification..... My current hookup has a new Alpine head unit connected by speaker wire output of the head unit to the factory amp (not via RCA outputs). So basically I think I am currently only seeing the benefit of the factory amp to the speakers. I was trying to find out if I would be better off to cut out the factory amp and leave the rear damaged sub disconnected therefore only using the Alpine built in amp vs the factory amp? (Alpine HU wired directly to speakers or Alpine HU to factory amp to speakers??)

oneradride

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Cool got yah, but I’m not sure how you did that… most amps take a line level signal (because it’s a cleaner source) and then jack the power to it. If you are running speaker level signal into the amp I’ll bet that sub sounds like ****…..
You said earlier that this is not a bose system… Unless I’m mistaken the factory amp only powers the sub. The head unit powers everything else.
Your best bet would be to use the head unit power to the factory speakers. Replace the sub with a nice 8 inch that’ll fit in the same box and look up a small 100 watt amp right next to or in the same area as a factory sub, there is ample room under that panel. This will also require a heavy gauge wire, trigger lead and RCA run all the way to the back.

Jake007

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply. I initially hooked up my new HU and had no sound. That is when I realized there was a factory amp. So I connected up the blue line and now all speakers worked. So I think in this year the amp must power all speakers.

So it seems that I should find the factory amp, throw it away, bypass all speaker connections accross the factory amp, and install a new sub amp dedicated to a new sub. Then my new Alpine HU with new Alpine speakers and new XX brand sub will sound great... without breaking the bank....

boogadee

Reaction score
the stock amps usually put out 20 amps per chanell.
if u open glove box on right side is a plastic tab. just pry it to the left and it drops down

Srad600

Reaction score
Sorry to bump an old thread but I cant find an answer to my question. Believe it or not I used to install car audio for a living but that was more about 15 years ago and I just dont remember a lot of the stuff.

I have a 2002 just like this one, no bose, no onstar, WITH factory amp and sub. I dont have the small harness with pink wire every one says to hook up to the radios amp turn on wire. I tested in the cars harness and found a green wire that acts like amp turn on so I powered it up and I have sound! but only when the car is stationary!?!?! If I move at all the amp cuts out.

Some one have an answer for me thats quick and cheap before my road trip this week?

YukonDan

Reaction score
I also have a 2002 Yukon sle. I replaced the factory radio with an aftermarket. And I'm still using the factory amp...the one behind the glove box. All I needed was the wiring harness adapter which I got at Walmart. the thing about it is when you wire the radio to the adapter harness you have to connect the amp turn on lead/power antenna wire to the corresponding wire on the harness this powering on the factory amp..other wise the radio will come on but you'll have no sound. Also these vehicles come with a stock 2ohm 8 inch woofer in the rear....mine was blown and had no sound so just for ****s and giggles I wired up two 12s in a ported box and holy crap does it thump....all factory!!!! Bad side of it is the bass overpowers the highs and mid range a bit so I'd try running new wire for your door speakers and connect them directly to the radio harness or get an aftermarket amp for that.