2002 Tahoe Check Engine Light-high rpm on startup

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

tkinster

Reaction score
Ok, here is the situation. 2002 Tahoe 168,000 miles. When I start it first thing of a morning, the rpm's go up to about 2500 then drops to around 500 and misses really bad, sometimes the motor will even die. since it started doing this, my engine light has been on. Had a friend put it on computer to see what codes it showed....1 was change fuel filter the other code showed intake gaskets. Was just wondering if anyone else has had a similar problem and what the result was.

Thanks

CHEVYMANE

Reaction score
I haven't had that problem but with the description i'd say look into the idle air control valve or idle speed sensor. High RPM's sounds like it doesn't know where to set & the ecm sees that & turns on the check light.

TnTahoe

Reaction score
mine does the high rpm sometimes and its my intake gasket, but it has never died on me, im just gonna wait til it warms up and replace my gasket