2002 Tahoe only blowing air through defrost and floor vents

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Cali_02Tahoe

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to fix this issue without taking it to the dealer and getting rip on labor fees? I've changed the climate control panel and still no luck. I've done some googling and the only thing I could find was in a Trailblazer & Envoy Forum where they were having the same issue. They said it was the HVAC mode door actuator, but I don't know where to locate that on my truck. Has anyone else encountered this problem? What is the difference between 02 tahoe and 02 trailblazer/envoy besides the obvious? Anything will help.

Thanks,:confused:

jgm74

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You might want to look at this, I don't know if it will be the same. At my work we have Chevy astro vans ranging from 99-03 and all six had this same issue. We finally figured out that the 1/8th vacuum line from the manifold that feeds the hvac selector switch was broken. Once we fixed that line the problem was solved. I hope this helps.

Cali_02Tahoe

Reaction score
thanks for the reply jgm74

found out it was the air mode actuator. Replaced it yesterday and it was working fine. Dealer cost was about $100. Did it myself and saved me the labor cost.:smilielol: thanks again

NJ04HOE

Reaction score
found out it was the air mode actuator. Replaced it yesterday and it was working fine. Dealer cost was about $100. Did it myself and saved me the labor cost.:smilielol: thanks again

Where is it located? and how hard was it to replace?
Mine does the same thing but it only lasts for a short period of time then it works fine but i'm assuming I will need to do this soon.

Cali_02Tahoe

Reaction score
Where is it located? and how hard was it to replace?
Mine does the same thing but it only lasts for a short period of time then it works fine but i'm assuming I will need to do this soon.

yeah, same issues i had before it totally went out. Its not too hard. You don't have to rip out the dash board or anything. It would be easier if you take or move out the vents that run under the steering wheel on the driver side. Its to the right of the steering wheel. Its pretty hard to miss. Its big.

Kochese

Reaction score
Any suggestions on how to fix this issue without taking it to the dealer and getting rip on labor fees? I've changed the climate control panel and still no luck. I've done some googling and the only thing I could find was in a Trailblazer & Envoy Forum where they were having the same issue. They said it was the HVAC mode door actuator, but I don't know where to locate that on my truck. Has anyone else encountered this problem? What is the difference between 02 tahoe and 02 trailblazer/envoy besides the obvious? Anything will help.

Thanks,:confused:
The mode door actuator is up under the dash above the gas pedal. Go to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pgadjXyqjbA
and ignore the first part till he gets to the mode door actuator. There are other videos on youtube if you search for them. You'll need a 5 mm socket with a short and long extension and a lot of patience with lying on your back with a headlamp. I have managed to replace the actuator, but now it needs to be re calibrated to match the mode switch on the dash. GOOD LUCK!!
Kochese