2004 tahoe cluster problems

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

mms1361

Reaction score
So i know all about the bad GM clusters ordeal. My friend has an 04 tahoe that has had an inoperable cluster for a while now (completely dead gauges and message center. Today we pulled an 04 yukon cluster for $18. The yukon cluster has a bad lcd on the message center but all the gauges seem to be working ok when they work.

Upon testing the "new" yukon cluster we noticed it too completely went dead on its own. We reconnected the cluster plug on and off several times and it managed to work again but later it went dead once more.

We tried putting the old tahoe cluster back in only to find that now the message center worked but all the gauges were still inop. It seems to lose power on its own.

At times the old tahoe cluster will display things/mileage on the message center but then go dead after a few minutes. We have to reconnect and wiggle the plug until we hear a noise buzz and the idiot lights turn on. Then and only then will the message center work again.

The same symptoms occur with the new yukon cluster, i have to wiggle it til the check engine/battery light turn on. Then the gauges work fine. Otherwise its completely dead.

It seems to me id have to transfer the yukon stepper motors onto the old tahoe cluster to have 1 functional cluster. But with the intermitent power issue occuring on both clusters it leads me to believe that somethings wrong on the harness of the cluster. Unless of course both of the clusters female plugs are bad.

Any pointers on what else i should check or do? All fuses are ok. The owner is hesitant about paying $100+ to rebuild his cluster and still have the cluster not functioning due to electrical issues.