2004 Tahoe sunroof blew off

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

LisaZ

Reaction score
Has anyone else had their sunroof blow off? Was driving on I95 doing about 70 mph and it just blew off!

Was wondering how much its going to cost to get it replaced.

LisaZ

Reaction score
Its factory. Looks like water got in and compromised the seal. There's some rust around the rubber seal. Everything works fine - just no glass!

I'm thinking can get it replaced at a window replacement place.

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Well hopefully its the brakets in the sunroof glass itself that gave way and not the brakets on the sunroof module itself.. the way you can tell is you need put it in the tilt position not sure if you know what that means but just incase its when its in the closed position and the back part of the sunroof glass is tilted up.. once tilted in the up position look at the rails there should be 2 screws on each side that have a star*like holes on the head of the srew if those are ther you only need the glass and shouldn't be to expensive however if there not there that means the whole sunroof module assy would beed to be replaced and well that can be expensive the parts alone are like 700-800 plus the labor and that to Iis high because the whole headliner would need to come down

LisaZ

Reaction score
Just need the glass. Everything else is there.

Called a windshield replacement company - they said I need to get the glass from a dealer and then they can install it. Wonder how much the glass is going to cost from a dealer?

rockenthebowtie

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Not sure on that only its not hard to install it the most difficult part is just aligning it and thats not even to bad just need a 20 or 25 torx socket a small extension and ratchet... just dont remember if its a 20 ir 25 torx but its one of those two

LisaZ

Reaction score
Update: the sunroof is a Webasto aftermarket install. There was a recall due to a bad batch of glue. So, we are getting it replaced next week - it is covered under the recall.