2004 Tahoe won't start with less than 1/4 tank

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

daytrader

Reaction score
For a few months now my Tahoe won't start when it gets under a 1/4 tank. Sometimes just under a 1/2 tank. So I take my wife's car and fill up about 3-4 gallons in some plastic gas cans and put that in my Tahoe. Starts right up. Of course then her car smells like gas for a few days and she gets kinda pi$$ed as you can imagine. My temporary solution has been to just top off the tank when it gets to 1/2 full. Anyways I'm no mechanic so I don't know what's wrong. Maybe bad fuel pump? But if so why will it run just fine once I add a few gallons? No check engine lights, no other symptoms. I have had a Viper alarm/remote start for about 2 years and this is a new problem so I don't think the Viper is contributing to the problem.

Any help would definitely be appreciated.

rjohnson4405

Reaction score
I had another car (not a 'Hoe) that did that as the fuel pump started to go out. Changing your fuel filter after ~100,000 miles can make the pump last longer.

Mine also depended on the incline. Facing uphill it'll usually start, facing downhill it would almost never start, no matter the level of gas.

jetcruiser

Reaction score
yep

second to rjohnson! if mine is parked downhill at all with 1/4 or less in the tank it won't start. I have to roll down to level and it'll start right up.

Rivieraracing

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I don't know what the fuel pump looks like in these trucks but it could have something to do with the pickup tube for it, I know that some rigs have a pickup tube mounted to the fuel pump and that they can sometimes break off or get disconnected which at that time will no longer take the fuel from the bottom of your tank. Something to think about, like I said just an idea!!

EliteTahoe

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm a owner of a 5.3 late 2000. Think we got the same generation.
Also got this problems with this fuel pump.

WHen it passes below 1/4 tank, it has problems starting.
Filled it up with a few gallons. After a while it started.

Have been some problems with this pumps.
Some says its the pump, other says its the relay.
Saw somewhere that the check valves are bad on pump assembly.

It could help if you allow the pump to work 4-5 times before you turn the starter, to allow it to pressure the system.

-Going to install fuel pressure gauge inside truck visible.

-Really considering to reconstruct the fuel system and install 2 pumps from VW. Those are good pumps.
As vw use ONE lift pumpe from tank to a intermediate tank under car, and a SECOND pump to build up system pressure from this intermediate tank.

wyoming54

Reaction score
Hi!
I'm a owner of a 5.3 late 2000. Think we got the same generation.
Also got this problems with this fuel pump.

WHen it passes below 1/4 tank, it has problems starting.
Filled it up with a few gallons. After a while it started.

Have been some problems with this pumps.
Some says its the pump, other says its the relay.
Saw somewhere that the check valves are bad on pump assembly.

It could help if you allow the pump to work 4-5 times before you turn the starter, to allow it to pressure the system.

-Going to install fuel pressure gauge inside truck visible.

-Really considering to reconstruct the fuel system and install 2 pumps from VW. Those are good pumps.
As vw use ONE lift pumpe from tank to a intermediate tank under car, and a SECOND pump to build up system pressure from this intermediate tank.

EliteTahoe: Did you ever find the source of your problem? My gf also has a 2000 5.3 Tahoe and it has the EXACT same issue as you describe. I'm hoping I don't have to change the fuel pump! My 1st thought was to go ahead and change the fuel filter, which i'll be doing this weekend. Any help is greatly appreciated!