2004 Wheel bearing

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

avdoc

Reaction score
I have a wheel bearing on our 2004 Z-71 roaring. I bought a new one, but have yet to jack it up to figure out which one it is. If I even slightly turn wheel to the right, It starts. Any ideas? I greatly appreciate it in advance.

metro273

Full Access Member
Reaction score
You turn the wheel to the right and the noise appears?
Sounds to me like the left one is bad? Since you are turning right, the vehicle's weight is pushed to the leftside, thus the weight is pushing down on the bearing.

MDTAHOE1

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I agree with above. About 98% of the time the bad bearing is the one opposite of the way you turn. Every once and a while you get one that is not.

avdoc

Reaction score
Thanks. I thought that too, but then wondered if since it was pulling the right one out, it could do the same. I dont know.

avdoc

Reaction score
Sorry, I guess I posted in the wrong section for a 2004. Thanks for your help guys. I appreciate it, I'll check the left side first.

667theneighbour

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Grab hold on the top of the tire and pull and push with all your might. If you can move the tire thats the culprit.

Also be prepared to swear a lot. The screws holding the hub are usually stuck.

avdoc

Reaction score
Thanks for the help guys. I jacked it up, and it was the right one. It had play in it, and sounded like the bearings were gone when I spun it. The bolts were tough, but with a big enough impact gun it was pretty easy. It must have been that way for a while, because the half shaft splines had some discoloration where it had gotten hot. Everything looked good though, and went back together fairly quick. It drives like new again. I was not aware since I mainly drive a 2500 Ram Hemi, and the wife drives this. She fell and broke her leg Wednesday and my Dodge is to tall for her to climb in with a broken leg. I drove this the first time in a long while getting her from the hospital after surgery. It looks like my next project is the intermediate steering shaft. Joy