2005 Tahoe DTC [Retrieve]

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

poncherello

Reaction score
Hello all, new to the forum here.

My check engine light is on in my 2005 Tahoe. Onstar scanned it and basically said the fuel cap was not on properly. I would occassionally get the tighten fuel cap alert on the DIC. The cap ended up being bad. After a month or so I just replaced the cap. The ignition has cycled at least 10 times with the new cap and the engine light is still on. I was told by onstar it would reset after 7 cycles. Is there a way I can pull up the codes on the DIC like I could with my 04 corvette? I need to reset this thing before the inspection is due. Thanks

Armycop

Reaction score
I don't know of a process for the hoe's or yuke's, but you could take it to Autozone and have them pull the codes for you. Ask nicely and they might even clear the codes. That's what I did before I just went and bought a scanner.

poncherello

Reaction score
Maybe I'll just disconnect the battery to get rid of the light and see if it comes back on.

OmarR

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Typically, on 95 and up OBD2 cars, you need a scanner to reset the code if you dont want to wait for the cycles.

You can find some cheap scanners online for about $40-$50. They dont have any bells or whistles, but they will display your codes and let you reset them. Definitely worth the money if you work on your own car/truck.

poncherello

Reaction score
Typically, on 95 and up OBD2 cars, you need a scanner to reset the code if you dont want to wait for the cycles.

You can find some cheap scanners online for about $40-$50. They dont have any bells or whistles, but they will display your codes and let you reset them. Definitely worth the money if you work on your own car/truck.

Something like this?

Scanner