2005 Z71 will not start

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

dragnfli

Reaction score
Sometimes when I go to start my tahoe nothing happens. Lights and all work fine. If I continue to let off the switch and keep trying it will finally kick over and start just fine. Sometimes is may only take 10 or so tries other times over 50 to get it started so I can get back home. Could it be a bad spot on the starter? How can I test to isolate the problem? thanks in advance.

KarenCaren

Reaction score
Hello. If you are experiencing this problem you might have a dead battery. A quick test for the state of a battery charge is to turn the ignition key to the on position, and turn on the wipers. If the wipers move real slow or not at all the battery needs to be charged. A jump start will get the vehicle started. If you allow it to run a couple of hours the battery will recharge if it is a good battery. A battery 4 or more years old will need to be replaced. Also check the battery cable and connections. If they are loose or corroded they will contribute to the no start. Another cause of a no start is lack of fuel to the engine. In this case the engine will crank over and sound as if it wants to start. A quick test is to turn off all accessories, turn the key to on and listen for a low volume humming noise. This noise is the fuel pump. If there is no noise it is likely the engine is not getting fuel. A blown fuse, faulty relay, or bad fuel pump may be the cause.

tnezukon

Full Access Member
Reaction score
I would say start by checking all the connections to the battery. If the lights are working and they arent dim when you turn them on I wouldnt think that its a bad battery. Does the engine turn over, or do you just hear a "click". If its the latter I would def say its either a loose connection or perhaps a bad starter solenoid. Hope this helps

dragnfli

Reaction score
Thanks for your replies. The battery new and I know it has nothing to do with battery connections. All the electical works fine with no problems. When I turn the key to start, then basically nothing happens. Engine does not turn over, solenoid does not click on the start either. Next thing I am going to try is see if fire is getting to the starter or not when I turn the key. I am thinking bad solenoid on the starter, but not sure how to isolate down on this vehicle.

bunkleman21

Reaction score
I had the same problem in March. I would just keep trying for sometimes a half hour to get the damn thing to start. All of the acc. would turn on but the truck wouldnt turn over, or do anything. If you go under there and tap the starter with a hammer it should spin it if there is a dead spot and it should start. If that works you need a new starter. cost me $200 at Autozone, and I havent had a problem since (knock on wood). Also if you take it out and take it into Autozone they will test it for free for you. BTW, it is a pain in the a$$ to get to under there.

dragnfli

Reaction score
Sounds like that is my problem. It is dead right now in the yard, will go home tongiht and try it. Thanks for the reply.

dragnfli

Reaction score
Just so everyone knows it was the starter solenoid. Took the starter off $170.00 for a reconditioned one at the parts store. Thought that was way to much so I took it to my local alternator and Starter repair shop. $35.00 to replace and put the solenoid on and another $15.00 to open up the starter, lube it up and check the brushes. GOOD as new!

Thanks for everyones help.

bunkleman21

Reaction score
Thats a good deal. I wish I would have done that. Glad to see it worked out. Did you do the install. I ask because when I did it I forgot to put the plastic housing back on until I was rolling the crawler out and saw it laying there:cuss:. I had to do the whole install process a total of 3 times. The first time I forgot the heat shield, the second time the gound was touching the block and completing the circuit all of the time and the starter wouldnt turn off, the third time it worked. It was a simple job that got me significantly frustrated:mad3: