2007 Denali - upgrade sub to JL Stealthbox

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

addovox

Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a JL Stealthbox and an MTX Audio TA3401 1-channel amp to run it. I have a few questions...

1. Can the amp be installed under the center console along with the box, or is it just too tight? If not, will the amp fit anywhere else?

2. Can i just keep the stock deck (w/ nav) and speakers and replace the sub/amp? Will i need any other parts or wiring and/or will that mess up the sound of the stock speakers? (i know how the old amp controls some of that stuff).

3. I also have a 4x100 MTX amp that i'd like to use for the stock speakers...will i need any other parts there if i keep the stock deck?
I want to try that first don't mind buying some component speakers if i somehow blow the stock speakers or they don't sound good.

4. What to do with the center dash speaker and the 2 speakers way in the back...let the deck continue to run them?

Thanks!

DofD

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Even if removing the stock amp I doubt you'd have room to install the MTX. Under the second row seats can work for the amp install.

As for your other question, rather then repeating a whole bunch of stuff, search through the audio forums here and you'll find a wealth of information on the things your thinking about.

addovox

Reaction score
Hmm...i have searched and searched and still don't find any posts really detailing the questions i had....in fact, now that i re-read them, none of those questions have been answered on this forum.
eg: Will the aftermarket amp fit under center console--has anyone done this yet?? Anything necessary to just add the Stealthbox + amp, but keeping all the rest stock? Adding a 4-channel amp to power the stock speakers using the stock headunit? Center speaker with an aftermarket amp??

Gambler

Full Access Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I just bought a JL Stealthbox and an MTX Audio TA3401 1-channel amp to run it. I have a few questions...

1. Can the amp be installed under the center console along with the box, or is it just too tight? If not, will the amp fit anywhere else?

2. Can i just keep the stock deck (w/ nav) and speakers and replace the sub/amp? Will i need any other parts or wiring and/or will that mess up the sound of the stock speakers? (i know how the old amp controls some of that stuff).

3. I also have a 4x100 MTX amp that i'd like to use for the stock speakers...will i need any other parts there if i keep the stock deck?
I want to try that first don't mind buying some component speakers if i somehow blow the stock speakers or they don't sound good.

4. What to do with the center dash speaker and the 2 speakers way in the back...let the deck continue to run them?

Thanks!

1. The amp will not fit under the console along with the stealthbox, you can fit the amp beneath the second row seats, or in the rear driver's side wheel well compartment (where the jack is).

2. PAC Audio probably makes an adapter to get RCA outs for your stereo, I'm not positive about the Denali stereo, but if you check their website you may find something. Crutchfield may also be a good source to see if an adapter is made.

3. The same adapter would be used to amp your speakers. Fitting two amps in either of the locations I mentioned will be hard unless your amps are small, using both locations will probably work.

4. This one is just up to you.

VEGASTAHO8

Reaction score
I Had Alpine Type R Component Speakers Mounted In My Front And Rear Doors. I Had The Amp Installed Under The Center Console. The Amp I Have Is A Alpine 4 Channel Amp, It Costs About $499, But Its On Sale At Bestbuy.com For Only $375. It Mounted Perfectly Under The Console But At The Very Front...like Under The Head Unit. I Had It Put There Cause I Want To Run A Sub Later On But Only If It Can Fit Under The Console. The Amp Is Very Slim And Sleek, And The Amp Is Also Stackable, Meaning Another Alpine Amp Can Screw Right On Top Of It, So I Got The 4 Channel To Run My Component Door Speakers, They Can Handle 110 Rms Each So The Amp Is Perfectly Powerful, And Am Gonna Buy The Alpine 2 Channel Amp And Stack It On Top Of The 4 Channel Then Add A 10 Inch Sub. I Dont Think You Can Add 2 Amps And A Sub Unless The Amps Can Stack On Top Of Each Other, Check Out The Alpine Amps.

VEGASTAHO8

Reaction score
Check Out That Guy "gambler" He Has Pics Of 2 Amps Side By Side And A Custom Box With Sub. Looks Good But If You Dont Mind Losing The Storage Space Of Your Center Armrest And I Bet You Lose The Rear Cupholders And Auxillary Power. Wonder If The Sub Sounds Ok In That Enclosed Space.

addovox

Reaction score
VEGASTAHO8,

Did you leave the OEM stereo (factory nav?), or do you have an after market headunit? If you have OEM, did you need any harness parts in order to run your 4-channel amp and custom speakers? I think i'm also going to do that (run custom component speaks with my 4-channel MTX amp--i'll find a space for it). Just don't want to lose any factory features, including steering wheel controls (don't care if i lose OnStar, which i thin requires some separate harness part if you want to keep it).

uegdesigner

Reaction score
addovox,
I installed new speakers in all four doors. Diamond components up front and I decided on MB Quart in the rear. I am using a 4 channel infinity amp "under the console" and my stock stereo. I didn't need any adapters from the stereo since my amp had speaker level inputs "meaning it has an internal line output converter". I just tapped into the speaker signals in the back of the stereo. All factory features are retained and the sound is extremely improved.

addovox

Reaction score
uegdesigner,

Sounds good! I hope my older MTX 4-channel has speaker level inputs.

What size speakers did you use? Crutchfield for that vehicle says you can only put 5.25" speakers in the front doors because of some issues?? I wanted to get 6.5" speakers in the front and 5.25" in the back doors.

uegdesigner

Reaction score
addovox,
I used 6.5's all around...
In the rear I used the speaker brackets from Crutchfield. Up front the Diamond 6.5's were too large to fit into the brackets so they went straight on the doors with some dynamat surrounding them. I also put the crossovers in the small space under the console.

addovox

Reaction score
uegdesigner, or anybody...
I verified that my amp(s) do have line level inputs. I'm somewhat of a newbie (but handy! :)....how/where do i "tap into the speaker signals in the back of the stereo"? I had the Bose installed amp/sub (6" under console, pathetic amp) which i removed...there is a mess of wires for that console/amp/sub, i really don't know what's what, and i want to keep all the stock bells/chimes, etc. Can't i just use one of those harness connectors under the console to "tap" into to get a line level for my sub amp? Or should i go with something from PIE?

I am replacing with a JL Audio Stealbox (already in place) and I'm gonna try the Alpine PDX-2.150 2-channel amp because it's the only thing around 300 watts that is small enough to fit under there (D Class Amp). I've measured carefully and i think i got it figured out...i'm gonna have to do a bit of hacking, but i'll let you guys know how it goes. I'll take some pics--it's not as easy as the JL people make it seem! :)

uegdesigner

Reaction score
addovox,
I tapped into the speakers with wire taps right behind the OEM receiver. Use the taps with a side male post so that you can easily remove/change the connections without having to cut any wires. Plus you can leave the taps there if you decide to get rid of your vehicle in the future.
Since you have the Bose I am not sure what all the wires under the console are for. My Tahoe didn't have Bose so I didn't have any wires there. Initial thoughts seem like those wires should have everything you need but I am not familiar with it. A cool harness would be ideal but again the wire taps are a good solution.
Take some pictures and post them on here your install sounds interesting and I haven't seen anyone post a JL Stealthbox install pics.